1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply ->>> Permanent

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by pleasemiss__, Jan 13, 2016.

1. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

Hi there.

Have you ever received holiday pay as a supply teacher? The school I'm currently working at has paid me for the two week Christmas break. I feel very lucky. I can't help but wonder whether there is a catch.

Have you ever requested a member of staff from a school you've supplied at to be a referee on an application form?
    I will be doing that.
    I really really really want to stay at the school I'm currently at forever and ever, but I don't think there is a job for me and I can't risk hanging on til July to end up with no work when summer arrives. So I'm applying for a teaching post. Do you think my history of supply will rule me out as a candidate?

Any tips on how to sell supply experience in a L.o.A?

2. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Theo Griff has written some excellent advice about how to write your personal statement and make the most of your supply skills. Well done on getting holiday pay. Don't ask any questions.
    You're right about the reference, your agency is not your employer but an intermediary so they are under no obligation to write a compelling refererence. Again Theo Griff has some advice on this.
    I'd tag her if I knew how but it's in some recent threads on here.

3. splinters

splinters Established commenter

I cant speak from experience as I have yet to move to a permanent role after supply but, as suggested by @TheoGriff you can put a very positive slant on your supply experience especially if you can write in a way that doesn't look like supply was your only choice. In my case;
    'Supply is something I chose to experience first hand. After many years teaching in one school and years of experience of visiting the DT departments of many schools, and assessing their output without a personal context, I wanted to experience for myself what it was like to teach in those schools. I have become a better teacher for the experience and my views on education, classroom management and assessment and have changed for the better and made me less cynical and more adaptable, ready to use this experience to develop my skills further in my next teaching role.'

emmalcm1 likes this.
  4. emmalcm1

emmalcm1 Established commenter

Wow I've never heard of anyone getting any holiday pay! I would just take it and not ask questions!
    Although I've never moved from supply to permanent, I would think someone in a school where you've spent a lot of time would know more about how good you are/ if you're a hard worker, etc. You could maybe use a head of dept or the cover manager/ person in charge of organising supply staff?

Hannadelaney likes this.
  5. Caldwellthe1

Caldwellthe1 New commenter

To be honest, I am struggling to find anyone who can make a wage out of supply
    Holiday pay is out of the question, so too is work this year

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  6. AnonL

AnonL New commenter

Getting payed over Christmas.
    Ahem, Really???