1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Primary' started by bethybug878, Jun 26, 2016.

  1. bethybug878

    bethybug878 New commenter

    Hi guys
    I just cannot seem to find anyone that can help me so this is my final resort! I want to be paid PAYE for when I start my supply teaching in September but two of the agencies only pays through RACS (an umberella company) and the other PAYE. I can't go through PAYE and RACS as I need to choose one. But from what I can see RACS takes a cut of my pay and even RACS themselves said I'm better of with PAYE. Can anyone please help me with this? It's taken weeks just to register with the agencies and I really haven't got time now to join other agencies so I really want to keep with the three agencies but I don't want to go with RACS if they're going to screw me over. Please help !
  2. Yoda-

    Yoda- Lead commenter

    The agencies will try not to pay you through PAYE as it costs them more and they take on the responsibility of being your employer rather than the Umbrella company. RACS do have a facility for agencies to pay their teachers through PAYE. The agencies won't want to do it!


    You can go PAYE with one agency and through an umbrella with the others. Perhaps give the PAYE preference when accepting work. Look beyond the daily rate as you may take home more net pay through PAYE compared to the Umbrella choice, even if the daily rates seem the other way round!
  3. bethybug878

    bethybug878 New commenter

    Thank you so much that's really helpful. Yes with one of them they have said that they can pay PAYE but it will still be through RACS. That sounded a bit dodgy to me , so you would say that's a good option then? I need maximum take home pay as I'm only going to be working a couple of days a week
  4. modgepodge

    modgepodge Established commenter

    Be careful with this. It's been 5 years since I did supply so I'm not up on the regulations, but when I did it there was some question about what expenses you could claim through umbrella companies. They tried to encourage me to use an umbrella company on the grounds I could claim for meals, travel expenses etc etc but there was a lot of talk st the time that it was dodgy and if inland revenue ever caught up with you, you could be in trouble.
  5. Jesmond12

    Jesmond12 Star commenter

    Why not post this in the Supply forum. There are a lot of experienced people posting on there.
    Yoda- likes this.
  6. Yoda-

    Yoda- Lead commenter

    PAYE through RACS will be the best option for the same daily rate.

    You can no longer claim for travel.

    I would suggest this as well.

Share This Page