1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply Pay

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by flutterby*, Nov 12, 2018.

1. flutterby*

flutterby* New commenter

After 11 years of full time teaching, I have just gone into supply teaching. I have been working at schools locally (not through an agency) and have been paid daily at M6 rate. One of the schools has approached me and are very keen for me to do a part time, long term maternity cover from March until summer. Theh have said I can choose to be paid daily at m6 or it would be a fixed term position at m6. They said I would be paid over the holidays if I choose the fixed term. Is that correct? I’m trying to work out that if I’m paid over the holidays, is my daily pay less or more doing the fixed term at m6 than the daily m6 rate. Which is better for me financially.

Also if it’s a fixed term until the end of the summer term, do I get paid over the summer holidays? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Depends upon what is in the contract.
    I have done supply,on daily rate at UPS 3. The difference between annual salary and 190 days at UPS 3 is £30 but there is no TP in that. if the school is to give you a fixed term contract then you should accrue TP contributions and be paid until 31st August IF THAT IS IN THE CONTRACT YOU SIGN

On supply you are in effect your own employer. - you decide who to work for and when and for how much.

agathamorse, JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  3. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

Being paid full time on m6 will include holiday pay but not necessarily for the summer holidays. I’ve done several long term supply roles and they’ve all ended in June so no holiday pay for summer.

install likes this.
  4. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

If you are taken on as a maternity cover your contract usually names the teacher you are covering. Your job ends as soon as they return. So most choose to come back on the first day of the summer holidays. That means their pay begins and your pay ends. Seems unfair but that's just the way it is.

agathamorse likes this.