1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

supply pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by jennie85, Jun 25, 2015.

1. jennie85

jennie85 New commenter

hi

I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I've been on supply for a 3 years and have completely my NQT year I enjoy supply and going into different schools to gain more experience. sometimes I do think I want a permanent job but others I know I can pay want I need to in life and have enough left over to live. so over all I'm happy with the way my life is heading

I know that it is up to the agency how much I get paid but I was wondering if I still move up the pay scale with every year I work? for the past two years I have had 4 maternity placements that have took me from Sept-July both times yet this year I have taken home 23,400 which is less than MPS2 I believe. I have read some stuff but the more I read the more I confuse my self.

any advice would be great :)

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

You haven't listened to the advice you have received on Workplace dilemmas. There is no 'pay scale' to move up automatically any more. A school can pay you whatever they want. You may be in a better position had you completed PM but there is no 'right' to move up the pay scale, no.

3. jennie85

jennie85 New commenter

DYNAMO67

Sorry if me asking has offended you, like I said the more I read the more I get confused! I thought that supply and a permanent job had two possible outcomes in terms of pay. hence the two different topics, the other was mainly on the views of cover supervisor and if I should take the opportunity as the school offered it to me and where I stand on covering PE as I know if I was asked I would do it, as it would give a better education to the pupils in the school. which is in short why I became a teacher.

4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I am still worried you are not grasping it..

5. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

There have been many threads and discussions on this topic during the past few years as paysales and portability was removed back when Gove was Education Minister. No teacher is entitled to any specific pay anymore

Put simply

- there are no national payscales anymore and you do not move up the scale automatically each year.

- There is an MPS max and minimum but within this schools can pay what they like

- all schools have their own pay policy and the amount paid and prospects for pay rises depend on what is stated in each schools policy and what the requirements for progression are.

This means that schools can pay you the bottom MPS level forever if they want - schools do not need to pay you any extra for experience - we even see on these forums UPS teachers offered MPS salaries.

Therefore there is no "entitlement" to specific pay - you must be negotiate before accepting the job.

PS

- many cover supervisor jobs are pro-rata jobs which means you may only be paid for the hours in school/also may not get paid for the holidays

6. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Damn right! Schools now can pay you as little as they like, which, I was flabbergasted to discover, went as far down as nothing!

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Really? I thought that there was a minimum for those covered by STPCD and a lower minimum for anybody else.

8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I hope this is exceptional but I have been 'offered' shorter term contracts in schools on a 'non-remunerative basis', although this might be because retired teachers are thought to be keen to 'put something back'.

9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Good grief. Why would retired teachers want to "put something back"? I'd have thought more of them might feel they should GET something back after all their years of hard work.

(Although I do know various former-teacher mums who have done regular parent-helping as a forerunner to getting back into teaching - I guess they might be interested in a "non-remunerative" contract, if they thought it might help them land a paid post the next year. It's still exploitation, though.)