1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply pay scales for different roles.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by NS211, Nov 10, 2018.

1. NS211

NS211 New commenter

Hi
    I've worked with agencies in the past as a supply Teacher but after going back I've found work isnt as busy as it once was. I'm thinking of opening up to work as a TA and Cover Supervisor in other than primary in an attempt to gain more days and experience. Even if it's just until longer term work comes in or it picks up.
    I know that TAs earn less than a Teacher obviously but is there a different scale in-between for cover supervisor?

Thank you.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi NS211

Welcome to the forum.

Your best bet is to contact the agencies and find out what their scales are for TAs and cover supervisors.

Perhaps hold off as long as you can to take cover supervisors roles since once you do that, the agencies will tend to offer you those roles and you are going to lose out on the teacher rate. Schools will try it on by getting you to come back as a teacher but paying you the lower rate.

You might be better off finding a part time job to supplement supply teaching or starting a part time business.

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

@pepper5 is correct about avoiding CS and TA rates for the simple reason that you're asking to get screwed over.

I'm not sure any agencies have any scales as such. Their pay structure is whatever they can get away with and if they can't manage the big drop down to CS then they'll come up with any argument/persuasion/lie to knock a few tenners off the daily rate. You can be certain that the agencies are telling the schools what a wonderful teacher @NS211 is just to get a few more pounds from that end so any days or experience will have minimum effect on schools or agencies. Perhaps you might haggle more confidently but I don't think it's worth the initial hit to take a serous drop.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.