1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply Pay/Conditions and NQT

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by saratay08, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Hi
    I have started my NQT at a school who initially informed me that I would be working there until the Summer. Subsequently I have found out that it may only be till May and that they are paying me on Supply rather than with a contract.
    Anyway, I'm not sure what my position is when it comes to pay and staff meetings etc.
    On the one hand I am only on supply but on the other part of the Induction is to integrate into school life. Guidance on supply work from NASUWT states that all time on the premises should be claimed for but I'm not sure what to do, as contracted teachers don't get paid extra for staff meetings etc.
    I am a little down about the whole situation as I feel the original conditions of the post have kept changing. I am grateful that I have started my NQT but it does make me feel a little awkward (used).
    Any comments please.

2. Hi
    I have started my NQT at a school who initially informed me that I would be working there until the Summer. Subsequently I have found out that it may only be till May and that they are paying me on Supply rather than with a contract.
    Anyway, I'm not sure what my position is when it comes to pay and staff meetings etc.
    On the one hand I am only on supply but on the other part of the Induction is to integrate into school life. Guidance on supply work from NASUWT states that all time on the premises should be claimed for but I'm not sure what to do, as contracted teachers don't get paid extra for staff meetings etc.
    I am a little down about the whole situation as I feel the original conditions of the post have kept changing. I am grateful that I have started my NQT but it does make me feel a little awkward (used).
    Any comments please.

3. What you need to do is talk to the school about their expectations given that you are on the supply rate.It is unreasonable to expect you to attend meetings and work but not pay for that. If you are not being paid over a half term or Easter for example, then realistically the school cannot expect you to be marking and preparing etc during this time. If there is an INSET day then again you need to be paid for attendance at INSET. It is much better to talk to the school about what their expectations are and what you feel is reasonable rather than say nothing and then wait for assumptions to be made and for an issue to arise later on.
    James

4. Stop there. Get a copy of your contract and read it now.