1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

supply on Isle of Wight

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by lagartija, May 7, 2012.

1. I'm hoping to move to the island next year and want a break from full time teaching (I currently teach year 3 in Suffolk). Does anyone know if there is a glut of supply teachers on the Isle of Wight? Is it possible to get any supply work without going to the mainland.
    Thanks
    L

2. I'm hoping to move to the island next year and want a break from full time teaching (I currently teach year 3 in Suffolk). Does anyone know if there is a glut of supply teachers on the Isle of Wight? Is it possible to get any supply work without going to the mainland.
    Thanks
    L

3. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Hi,

I originally come from a Lincolnshire village and I am now supplying in Birmingham and Coventry. I looked into supplying in the area I grew up and found the climate to be dire and I was told the steady stream of supply is in and around the cities. I suppose getting good relationships with schools may help but its risky.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

4. I am on long term on the island and can give you info about supply agencies etc if you PM, but have to say there isn't a huge amount of work..... If you are science, maths or MFL there is more. Maths they are actually recruiting from NZ. Bear in mind the island is an economically deprived area. I have supplied in the innercity and frankly it is easier. Loads of people move to the island with fuzzy idealist/ romantic ideas, most leave again within a year. You didn't say whether you were primary or secondary, but many jobs have recently been advertised on the TES with some more to follow - I wouldn't move without a job and I would bare in mind that it is hard work teaching here.

5. Sorry I see you are year 3 - I did try to edit and it ate it. My agency are after primary. County list still exists, employment by it is nil. It is unlikely you would make enough to make a living and even at primary level you have to cope with difficult things as social deprivation means unfed, unwashed children. It is so hard sometimes... There is a saying there are two types of teachers on the island those that are following an elephants graveyard and those that are born here and come home. It is not an ideal place at all. This probably sounds harsh, but so many people come here and don't last a year... That said I work with someone who came here with his wife in January and neither of them had teaching jobs and they have things now, and there are part-time jobs around.

6. There might be some supply, as I was phoned by an agency gone 8 am to do a day there. Being in NW London, i could not oblige

7. This post was exactly what I was looking for!!
    I'm also hoping to move to the Isle of Wight. I currently live in Kent but I am actually from the island.
    However, moving back mostly depends on the work situation. I have applied for a job as KS2 teacher- not heard yet and don't feel very optimistic :-(
    Not sure if that is the way to go or whether I should try to get some supply work and familiarise myself again with schools on the island.
    Did you manage to get work?
    Do I just need to get my CV out to all the schools? What to do?!!
    Thanks
    L

8. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i live in portsmouth and know that several teachers commute across the solent, so there is probably a relative shortage on the island,
    certainly last minute supply would give you an advantage, living on the island.
    mind you last week i doubt anyone got anywhere in some parts of the island, the car ferry could not even unload!

9. LOL! Very true!

I have a few contacts in some primary schools down there,planning to speak to the head I used to work for.hoping the familiar face will help me to get a bit of work and the contacts might be able to help me where they can!

Have wondered about supply on mainland but is it worth it with ferry costs?