1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply - Not Sure Where To Start! Please help

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Lilybett, Mar 28, 2011.

1. So I really didn't want to do supply, but now I'm just going to suck it up and get on with it.
    I don't really understand where to begin, though! How many agencies should I register with? Does anyone recommend any good ones they've dealt with (I'm in West Yorkshire). I'm going to have to go begging to my parents to pay for the CRB check - I don't have to get a new one done for every agency, do I?!
    I'm writing my CV now to upload onto Reed.co.uk but not entirely sure what I should be putting. It's hard to sell yourself when you don't know who you're selling yourself to!
    The other thing is: I don't have a car and I live in a small village. Of course, there are buses but not loads and it can take a while to get anywhere. Am I going to be too much of a hassle for supply agencies to take on, as I rely on public transport?
    Ohhhh I just want to get started TOMORROW!!! Please does anyone have any tips for me for securing work? I really have no idea what I'm doing!!
    Thanks in advance

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Who's telling you The job centre?
    I put my details up on agency a couple of years ago and have never heard anything from them in those two years. You really need to find out which agencies operate in your area-I'm presuming that agency doesn't in my LA.
    Your problem with transport is going to be a signifiacnt problem with late 'on the day' bookings, especially as it sounds as if you're in a rural setting.
    I really don't want to be too off-putting but do want you to realise how difficult it may be.

3. Hi [​IMG]
    No, the Job Centre haven't been pressuring me to do supply. They want me to find a proper, permanent teaching job and never darken their door again, or at least, find work as a TA or LSA.
    This has come about because I spent today in my pyjamas, doing a lot of crying and feeling sorry for myself and wishing things would change and this depression is just too damn depressing. I have GOT to find some work!
    I don't mind a commute at all! Gawd, I got shipped out all over the place for PGCE placements; commuting for 3 hours a day for 10 weeks was not joyous but manageable. I know - it's whether it's possible to be there for 8.30am.
    Ahh, nothing is simple! xxx

4. I think not having your own transport could be a problem so your best bet is making contact with the school in the village (if there is one). Arrange to see the head in person, bring a CV, treat it like an interview and let them see that you're pleasant, enthusiastic, etc etc. Definitely let them know that you live in the village and can come at short notice. You will need to find out whether the school uses an agency (find out which one) or selects supply teachers themselves from the LA Supply list (they still do that where I live and it's much better as you can earn more and be more pro-active about finding work). You can also find out about which schools your bus routes take you near and do the same with those schools. A couple of years ago this approach would probably have got you quite a bit of work, it did me, I was in my local village school almost every day. Unfortunately it has now gone so, so quiet as schools tend not to use supply much now so, I'm afraid, I shouldn't have too high hopes. It's probably worth a try though. All the best.

5. I guess you could volunteer at your local school. It would get you out the house and help to keep your confidence up. They also might be able to put some work your way. It's awful the job centre trying to get you to take TA's jobs after all those years spent getting a degree and teaching qualifications. I really hope something comes up for you.

6. Check the vacancies section of your local free advertising papers. I've seen a few agencies advertising there and at least you know that they are needing people in your area.