1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

supply in yr 5 no work set

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by taji, Mar 11, 2011.

1. I've been really struggling to get supply work but finally one school has accepted my application. They have phoned twice offering work but I haven't been available so when they phoned today I felt I had to say yes. Unfortunately the work is a morning in Year 5 and I've only ever taught KS1. I thought it would be OK as teachers usually set work but the school called back to say no work would be set and I can do my own thing.
    I was thinking of basing the morning around the topic of 'water' as I have a few interesting activities from a Geography conference I went on recently. Would this be OK or do you think the teacher be expecting me to do literacy and numeracy.
    I'm really feeling apprehensive so any tips for teaching Year 5 would be much appreciated.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes the teacher will be expecting some lit. & num. workbut you can fit this in with your topic work on Water. Try downloading a picture of the water table & work on putting an explanation text together. Decimal work using litres/ millilitres will fit in some maths.