1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply in South Yorkshire

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Chirpy1, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Chirpy1

Chirpy1 New commenter

What's the supply levels like in Sheffield/Doncaster/Rotherham/ Barnsley, please?

I never trust what agencies say.

Thanks in advance.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hii chirpy1

Welcome to the forum.

Chirpy1 likes this.
  3. Chirpy1

Chirpy1 New commenter

pepper5 likes this.
  4. Chirpy1

Chirpy1 New commenter

i take it every one is busy then :)

5. supply287

supply287 New commenter

Why do you ask?

6. Chirpy1

Chirpy1 New commenter

It's because I am thinking of going on Supply if there is a demand.

7. supply287

supply287 New commenter

Good luck, but read my recent posts and related..

8. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

I can't speak for South Yorkshire as I'm in West Yorks. But even here I don't trust my own evidence let alone anyone else's, too many factors outside your knowledge. Agree that you can't trust agencies views at all.

You know those fleeting visitors to your staff room. In fact the only ones in it. They are supply teachers and you will probably get the best indication from asking as many as you can. Or the HR person that organises cover in your school might tell you what they pay the agency for these as well.

pepper5 likes this.
  9. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

If you've got a permanent post and it's not unbearable then you're probably better staying put. Supply is very unpredictable and you need to be able to survive lean weeks. Also the OH tends to insist on a reliable income stream and this means you.

pepper5 likes this.
  10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I agree entirely with John. Supply is so unpredictable and it has been very slow for many people this year in all areas of the country. If you have another adult in the house who has a decent income coming in and you don't have a mortgage, then perhaps consider it. Otherwise, I would entirely forget it. In other years I would have said it is doable, but not now. Or use it as a stop gap knowing it is a stop gap and you have some money in savings.

11. Chirpy1

Chirpy1 New commenter

Thanks. I'll not be applying then. My post isn't permanent.

12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Chirpy1

Things may change. Keep your eyes posted and ask all the supply teachers you meet in your area what the amount of work is like.

13. steviepal

steviepal New commenter

3 days this academic year through 3 different agencies and I'm available in Sheffield, Barnsley, Rotherham, Chesterfield and as far out as Donny. That tells it's own story. Good luck.