1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply in North West (Liverpool/ Manc/ Bolton/ Rochdale/ Oldham/ Bury etc)

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by tanjia, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am new to supply teaching and feeling rather clueless!
    Is anyone out there doing supply in the Greater Manchester area? How much work should one expect for secondary in a week?
    Is it worth organising voluntary work as well?
    How many agencies should a supply teacher join?
    Is there a way to get a portable CRB (can use it for all purposes-voluntary/ supply)
    Thanks!

2. Hi,
    I am new to supply teaching and feeling rather clueless!
    Is anyone out there doing supply in the Greater Manchester area? How much work should one expect for secondary in a week?
    Is it worth organising voluntary work as well?
    How many agencies should a supply teacher join?
    Is there a way to get a portable CRB (can use it for all purposes-voluntary/ supply)
    Thanks!

3. There IS such a thing as a portable CRB. See your agency about it. It saves paying for two or three. I have only ever joined two agencies at a time and always found it difficult to stay working for two as I find if one has work, both have it, if one doesn't have any, neither have it. Also, I usually work with the same one who is down as my main employer for tax purposes, as I can then earn more and not get taxed on a higher rate. Better to get one good agency then, and stick with them. Phone them every morning, around 7.30am and let them know you're available - that way they will know you're waiting for work, ready to go at short notice, and they are less likely to forget about you or ignore you. Remember - they will have hundreds waiting for work, so the one on the phone is likely to be in their mind. I am Liverpool based and work is slow but picking up. If you get 3 days a week on day to day, you're doing well at the moment. Your voluntary work probably needs to be flexible as I would suggest keeping the supply option open every day and if nothing turns up (by about 9.30am), then do your voluntary work that day. Hope that helps. Good luck!

4. historygrump

historygrump Occasional commenter Forum guide

I am Manchester based, I would register with a couple of agencies and also a couple of the LA agencies, however from my experience the LA agencies (i.e Tameside, Rosa 'Rochdale and Oldham', Bury) are more primary focused then secondary.
    At the moment I am finding work very quiet, but based on last year I am not surprised at all and I do both primary and secondary. I agree with packed that you may find one agency you deal with are more dependable then other agencies you deal with, but it is important to keep them all sweet at times.