1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

supply in Manchester

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by e26, Aug 1, 2011.

1. e26

e26

Hi,
    Can anyone recommend any good agencies in Manchester? Or ones to avoid?
    Thanks,
    Emma
    [​IMG]

2. e26

e26

Hi,
    Can anyone recommend any good agencies in Manchester? Or ones to avoid?
    Thanks,
    Emma
    [​IMG]

3. Try Monarch, they've kept me very busy since Jan 2011

4. e26

e26

Thanks guys. The thing about registering with lots of agencies is the whole referencing thing,
    I feel bad for my ex boss to have to write me references for agencies, when he also will have to write them for proper, permanent jobs (which are more important).
    Also, my teaching post before that - I can't get hold of my line manager, she is on maternity leeave. I am getting my colleague at that school to write me a reference, and again I feel bad for her to be contacted by lots of agencies.
    Especially when it is holiday time! What do you think about asking for references during holiday time?
    Someone at Manchester LA told me that Hays and Ranstad are the best to use.

5. Hi
    In May last year I signed up to Randstad,Hays and Kelly.Kelly gets you liitle or no work at all.Hays is extremely disorganised and looses just about everything: references,CRB checks you name it! Randstad is about the best for finding you work but you have to be prepared to work anywhere in the Manchester area.I have found myslef travelling up to an hour to get to school they have placed me at. Their commitment to them package is good in that you only work for them and they gaurantee you work everyday.If they cant find you work they will pay you half a days pay for staying at home. This sounds fab but finding you work can be a lunchtime supervisor or baby sitting 4 children whilst their parents attend a fostering meeting!!!! Not good !!!! Pay for these type of jobs is certainly not what you would expect as a qualified teacher. Also if they find you a long term postition that you may think could become a permenant one be warned READ THE SMALL PRINT ON THEIR TERMS AND CONDITIONS !!!! You are tied to them no matter what . The school you can see yourself at for the near future could not be so unless they are prepared to pay a 5000 transfer fee to keep you.!!!!!
    Does anyone know any legal way out of this!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!! Frustated Birmingham.

6. e26

e26

Great, thanks, that's really useful!
    In terms of your problem - my friend was in a similar position in Cardiff. They (her and the school) just didn't tell the agency that she was going to be getting a permanent job there!

7. I was with Salford Supply Desk when I completed my PGCE, they even managed to get me a day on supply right at the end of the year. I registered with them again for September but by the end of the week I'd managed to secure a job.

The ladies I've dealt with are lovely and very supportive, when going into the offices I've always been made to feel really welcome. They provide supply all over, not just Salford. When I went in they enquired about my current school using them for supply and that was down in Cheshire.

I have a lot of faith in them - highly recommended!

8. I've had no experience of Hays for supply, I applied for a job in Manchester which I didn't get, but as it was advertised through Hays they kept my details and applied for jobs for me using my previous application. I ended up getting an interview but had already secured a fixed term contract somewhere else. I was really impressed with them so I decided to go back so they could fish out jobs for me (as well as registered for Supply with Salford Supply Desk).

However, second time round they weren't as useful which was really disappointing. I asked for the same lady that I'd dealt with previously but was put in touch with someone else (which I didn't really mind, it happens all the time). I said I was looking all over the UK but mainly Manchester, the Midlands and the North East, but for some reason they put me in touch with their offices in Kent! I was getting quite a few adverts through which was all well and good, but I didn't want to move down south. When I pointed this out, they said they'd see what their Birmingham offices had. I was really frustrated with them because I knew they had people in Manchester who could help me out, but I struggled to get in contact with them and the people I spoke to were really unhelpful

Like I say, I've had a mixed experience with Hays - by all means give them a go though!