1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply in London for a Chemist. Any decent agencies?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Bytor, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Bytor

Bytor Occasional commenter

Hello folks.

I am going to be looking for work from Jan 2019.

I previously did supply in 2015. Got one good gig, and then a few weeks of mayhem elsewhere.

Can anyone advise me of any good agencies (perhaps an oxymoron) in London?

I´ll contact a few schools directly, but many seem to throw their money at agencies.

Any relevant advice appreciated.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I am an ex chemistry teacher, and none of the nine agencies I joined were any good. Only two found me barely a dribble of work, which dried up three years ago. Despite the stories of a shortage of STEM teachers, this does not apply to London, especially if you are an older, experienced teacher. I know personally three ex-colleagues, who were science and maths teachers, and none of them has had any work. What you might get offered is a teacher's job for a CS salary, or for no salary at all. You might get offered long-term jobs but there always seems to be a catch, such as long lead-in times of unpaid work before the paid work begins.

gingerhobo48, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

Call the schools you want to work at and ask them which agencies they think are the best ones and the ones they recommend/use.

gingerhobo48, tdf192 and agathamorse like this.
  4. tdf192

tdf192 New commenter

It is always worth being signed up to one or two agencies. I would also say that some agencies are more popular in certain areas - does not mean they are suitable for you or for your area. As a "recruiter" happy to answer any questions you may have.

agathamorse, gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  5. Bytor

Bytor Occasional commenter

Thanks to all for the advice.

tdf192, I´ll drop you a PM shortly.

agathamorse, gingerhobo48 and tdf192 like this.