1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply in demand?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by hurray, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Hi

I'm a youngish teacher (well, 6 years secondary Spanish, German, French, Life Skills experience). Had a baby. Wanted part time hours. School couldn't be flexible. Then came back to me and I've been on 0.14 for this academic year. They've told me there are no hours for me next year. I'm considering supply and would make myself available 3 days per week (little boy has to go to nursery - no family support). I'm worried that I may not get much work due to a significant number of teachers being in a similar position to me (I know there are other cuts in my school and in another nearby secondary, as well as a local primary) and also more cover supervisors these days. I'd be willing to tackle any key stage and don't mind if it's state or private.

What's it like? Any advice?

2. Hi

I'm a youngish teacher (well, 6 years secondary Spanish, German, French, Life Skills experience). Had a baby. Wanted part time hours. School couldn't be flexible. Then came back to me and I've been on 0.14 for this academic year. They've told me there are no hours for me next year. I'm considering supply and would make myself available 3 days per week (little boy has to go to nursery - no family support). I'm worried that I may not get much work due to a significant number of teachers being in a similar position to me (I know there are other cuts in my school and in another nearby secondary, as well as a local primary) and also more cover supervisors these days. I'd be willing to tackle any key stage and don't mind if it's state or private.

What's it like? Any advice?

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Depends very much on where you are.

I've been available for supply every day for the last 40 school weeks, and I've worked 3 days a week on average. However, during half of those 40 weeks I was covering short-term (3-6 week) sickness absences, so I had to work on the days I was told to, or lose the job. By making yourself available only on certain days in any week you will limit your opportunities for longer term work. Daily supply is getting very tight due to over-use of Cover Supervisors.

Surely with the introduction of the EBacc from September there could be a few more Modern Languages jobs advertised, especially part-time, to fill gaps in timetabling as Languages become compulsory again at KS4? If so, I'd say go for them - Supply has a very uncertain future, especially if you can't be available for the longer term assignments.

4. Could you contact local Secondaries and see if there are any vacancies arising or if they can accomodate you in any way in their language dept?
    I was made redundant in Aug and have been doing supply since. Sent out letters to approx 50 schools and have only had contact and supply from 2 of them. Luckily a school i had an interview at has given me plenty of work and between Christmas and Easter i have been doing 121 for 1.5 days a week. Not sure how much work i will get after Easter.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As a fellow 'mfl', I have to say prospects for our subjects are pretty bleak. In my 16 years I've hardly ever been able to teach French or Germa & had very few posts to apply for in my area. I've recently added Spanish in the hope of boosting job prospects- still no luck.
    You may fare better however who knows?