1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply in Brighton

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by beckydavis84, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Hello
    I desperately want to move to Brighton. I am a qualified teacher with 4 years experience working in schools - 2 years qualified.

I applied for 3 jobs at the end of last year, sort of a spur of the moment thing as I was going to take my time with relocating but saw 3 that I liked the sound of. Anyway, got an interview at all 3 schools. Was so shocked! I had heard that schools in Brighton and Hove get up to 100 applicants.

Well, long story short, I ended up not accepting any of the jobs and got a (sort of) promotion at my current school. Now I am kicking myself and wish I had taken one of the jobs as it just seems harder and harder to get a job at the moment.

Does anyone know what doing Supply teaching in Sussex is like? Is this a viable way to make a living and fund a somewhat expensive Brighton lifestyle?

Any responses gratefully received!

2. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

Hi Becky,
    Congrats on your promotion! For what it's worth, I think you have done the right thing. I moved to Brighton a few years ago, I do supply but also do other things in my life, so it fits in with my lifestyle. I am about to start a maternity cover, infact since I got here I have done short term contracts and maternities, but like I say, it suits me. Is it the life that you want? There are some excellent agencies here, and some dire ones; as I belong to all of them, I know the good and the bad, but supply work is hard to come by due to cover supervisors and TAs taking lessons. If I were you, I would stick at the promotion for a couple of years, then see what is around. Brighton will always be here, why not visit at weekends, get to know the area, and see if it's what you really want? Brighton is as expensive as London, but without the London wage. Just trying to be realistic here, hope I am not being too negative!

3. Thank you for your response!
    Short term contracts and maternity covers would suit me, but I don't know if I would be able to rent a property this way as I wouldn't have a job contract.
    I have also thought about perhaps applying for a cover supervisor position if it were to come up? I did this for two years before qualifying and enjoyed it, but don't think it would pay enough for Brighton, which as you say, is expensive as London, without that wage.
    So many things to consider! Really hoping those jobs that I turned down last year weren't the only opportunity I was going to get!

4. Hi,
    I am a primary teacher, currently teaching in Ireland. I am hoping to move to Brighton for the 2012/13 academic year. I was just wondering if you could fill me in on supply work in and around Brighton.
    At the moment I have a permanent teaching job in Ireland. For personal reasons, I am considering taking a career break and making the move over here for at least a year.
    I trained and worked in the UK for years so I'm well aware of the heavy workload involved with permanent teaching jobs in the UK and supply seems to be the best option for me, but of course only if there is actually work available!
    Is there a demand for supply teachers in Brighton at the moment?