1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply etc in Cheshire, preferably!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by lloyd2, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Hi everyone
    Have just left my HOS job of 8 years in private school in NE to join my husband who had to move to Cheshire after being made redundant. We lived apart for 10 months and I had to resign without a job even after 3 interviews from approx 14 applications, all part time and/or temp jobs as the market is just dire for MFL (German/French and have just done Spanish A2). Reading other people's posts it seems supply is very hit and miss. My ideas until a proper job comes up are: supply (how many agencies is it advisable to sign up with?), private tutoring, helping out at primary schools with their MFL provision, boosting my CV with evening classes such as sign language etc. Any advice very gratefully received as I have never been in this position before and am fairly terrified about it all. Thanks.

2. Hi everyone
    Have just left my HOS job of 8 years in private school in NE to join my husband who had to move to Cheshire after being made redundant. We lived apart for 10 months and I had to resign without a job even after 3 interviews from approx 14 applications, all part time and/or temp jobs as the market is just dire for MFL (German/French and have just done Spanish A2). Reading other people's posts it seems supply is very hit and miss. My ideas until a proper job comes up are: supply (how many agencies is it advisable to sign up with?), private tutoring, helping out at primary schools with their MFL provision, boosting my CV with evening classes such as sign language etc. Any advice very gratefully received as I have never been in this position before and am fairly terrified about it all. Thanks.

3. Hi Lloyd2
    I was in exactly the same position a few years ago - a move with my husband's job and a very difficult search for work. I registered online with agencies, I registered with my local county council's supply office and I scoured all the local jobs which were not on the TES website within a 30 mile radius. I also sent my CV to local schools I thought might be interested and one in particular paid for a CRB check and offered me quite a bit of supply. This can dry up in February and March as the budget runs out but the winter term is usually quite good. Eventually I got a maternity leave in a different school and the offer of more work when the person in question did not want to come back and do the same hours. It is tough out there but I think if you are really determined you will get something. Bon courage!

4. Thanks Canteloube. What is a good number of agencies to sign up with? I am planning to resubmit my CV to all previous schools contacted last year and also try some others even if they don't teach German (my main lang). Any other ideas very welcome from anyone!