1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply Cover Supervisor Teachers

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Lara mfl 05, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

[​IMG]Head in hands!

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

£90 isn't too bad a rate for the job in question, but it's not one I'll be applying for any time soon.

3. Boycott these malign, corrupt and profiteering RIP-OFF operators!
    What are they invoicing the schools for??
    DO NOT JOIN IN WITH THIS cowboy, disrespectful and bullying organisation. We must fight back. NOW!

4. brunetta

brunetta New commenter

I saw a position for Cover Supervisor advertised recently and one of the 'desirables' is QTS. Hmmm..

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The trend is going to be for CS postions to be marketed at graduates who want some classroom experience before doing a PGCE.

6. I'm a NQT. When my non-Induction supply allowance runs out, I suppose I could continue working as a "supply cover supervisor teacher"? [​IMG]

7. The accelerated introduction of academies spells the end for all qualified teachers- supply being even worse affected. Perm teachers are up in arms about cuts to their wages and pensions plus years longer at the grindstone- worse again for supply having to wait years longer for the basic state pension.
    The situation is dire whatever way you look at it.
    I'll be getting out with my placard on June 30th- What will you be doing?

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There are some of us supply teachers who work only or sometimes for the LA and pay into the pension. We are affected by pension changes too yet the unions decided not to ballot any of us. They have emailed me to tell me that I have to be available for work on the 30th yet apparently schools cannot bring in supply teachers to cover for striking teachers.
    I'd rather pay more for the pension than be accr uing hardly any days/years in the pension on supply any more because I'm getting piddling amounts of work due to CS usage. Where are the Unions in supporting our right to work? Of I forgot, we're not really proper teachers are we!

9. Absolutely ridiculous.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It begs the question of why I need to be available for work on the 30th,on Union instructions.
    I suppose that I'm only to turn up for pre-booked work but how will I know if the teacher on a course etc is going to attend the course or go on strike? Are schools going to remember to contact supply teachers or their agencies to tell them that they are closing for the day or willwe end up travelling long distances to find schools closed?

11. What if the teacher claiming to be on the course is actually striking? Then it would be difficult for the school to say no to you.
    For me at least, getting a day's work at the moment would be like all my christmases coming at once!! I would'nt travel long distances though just for a day's work.

12. I shall be going along to my local schools to see if they are picketing. If they are then I shall be talking to them and giving them information to show why there are so many unemployed teachers and why the position of supply teachers is so dire. I will be able to show them how many support staff are doing the work that should be done by qualified teachers i.e teaching classes when the assigned class teacher is released for PPA. For every qualified teacher taking a PPA class there are 3 unqualified teachers or support staff doing the same task.
    I will be asking them when they last saw a supply teacher in their school and who does all the cover work and PPA work while they are on PPA. I am pretty sure that the local Primary school uses instructors for PPA so I will point out that instructors should only legally be used when there are no qualified teachers available

13. Thanks Bronco, that is very helpful.

14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The teacher might still be on the course as it will have been paid for. That would not automatically mean work for me though as the school will still close if there are too many teachers on strike and I have little confidence that the school will put any priority on informing supply teachers and agencies.

15. Bronco, I congratulate and applaud you for your unremitting, steadfast support that only properly qualified and registered teachers should be used as cover teachers for all lessons!

16. Why do you think that permanent teachers will be more sympathetic to the plight of supply teachers than to the support staff that they work with everyday and rely upon?

17. Because,FP, many of today's perm teachers will be tmorrow's unemployed supply teachers.
    Haven't you realised teachers are one of the most bullying, self-interested professions?
    (Equal on the bullying scale to the clergy)

18. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

Sad thing is the Dept of Education (see latest email from the D of E) have said that HLTA's and TA's cannot be used to replace teachers and can only work with the whole class under the supervision of the class teacher. so in theory using them for PPA time or to cover is illegal. Although they add that they be used for specific duties by the HT. The TDA state that the HLTA and TA can be used to work with small groups of children, support the class teacher, but they should not be used to take whole classes. The ATL say that support staff should not be used to teach classes and any school used in that role should be reported to the local rep. So with all these people saying basically the same thing, why are schools being allowed to ignore these rules? Because permanent teachers are scared to make a stand, the politicians will not admit that they have bug gered up education with their policies or through their inaction. That is why I have no sympathy for permanent teachers at the present.

19. You do realise, don't you, that agencies now promotes cover supervisors who have QTS as a bonus to the school at a knock down price? You do realise, don't you, that when asking for cover supervisors, schools often express a preference for those with QTS.I imagine that the majority of supply teachers do cover supervisor work rather than being idle. It's certainly true of the one's I meet.

20. Totally agree with that jubilee!