1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply Cover Rec/Year 1

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Montana_x, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Montana_x

Montana_x New commenter

Hey All,

So I've been asked to cover a mixed Rec/Year 1 class for one day this week, over both their sites and to plan my own work. Now I don't normally mind, however when I don't know the class and Rec is not my speciality I am left a bit 'urghh'.

Anyway I thought I'd run through what I'm thinking of doing... for Literacy/English I would ask the Year 1's to recount their summer holiday, maybe thinking of 2/3 things they did. For the Rec chn they could, at the art table/ creative station, draw a picture of something they did and dictate to myself or TA a word or sentence of what this is. I would then also provide free choosing activities as well.

I thought for maths we could look at counting - maybe spots on a butterfly- how many can you see? Then for their structured play they could have a template of a butterfly and either draw, paint or craft the spots on a butterfly, writing how many underneath. I thought for the Year ones this could be extended into number bonds to 10. There are 3 spots on the butterfly, how many more do I need to make 10?

I've not been to this school before and I don't know what resources I'll have access to, therefore I don't want to plan loads that I need lots of resources for!

If anyone else has ideas or suggestions, please feel free to post them. I really don't know what to expect from a mixed class this early on in the year!?

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi M

Your plans sound just right- enough for the children to learn and play and you should be able to easily obtain what you need when you get there.

You may have a TA and they will help.

Well done for getting work and have a brilliant day.

3. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

As Pepper has said, the lesson plans seem appropriate, but why are you being asked to plan for a group you don't know in an age group you don't normally teach? As a supply teacher on day to day cover for a one-off, the work should be provided. How can you differentiate? How can you build in progression? You are putting in time that you are not being paid for. This is unfair on you.

If you are with an agency you need to let them know that you are working for longer than the classroom contact time.

This sort of "mission creep" worries me. People choose to work as supply because they want their work/life balance back to spending a couple of waking hours having a life.

Schools have a statutory duty to provide their students with an appropriate programme of work, which I believe should include a contingency for cover work. If you are directly employed by the school or LEA, this needs to be negotiated with you. If you are working through an agency, they do not have any statutory duties to the students at all other than ensuring that their supply teachers have a current DBS.

I'm back in class in secondary now on a pre-booked part time, temporary cover but I have negotiated PPA into that so that I can liaise with colleagues, plan, mark and enter marks to the system.

4. Montana_x

Montana_x New commenter

Thank you both, Pepper5 and Nearmiss!

It is nice to know that what I'm doing actually sounds right! Having taken some time out of teaching to regain my work/life balance I worried that coming back to teaching, when so much has changed, I would have forgotten everything!

I do find it annoying when I'm asked to bring my own work as I know I'm not paid to do it, but I have enjoyed it as it's getting me back into practice!

5. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Nonetheless, Montana, it is not part of your duties to prepare work when clearly the school should provide you with it. This sets a precedent to expect other supply teachers basically to do the full job for a lot less money. To gain a bit of time back we have taken on a role that already has no job security, no holiday or sick pay and no pension rights. I draw the line at covering up the school's failure to provide cover work for a planned absence. It's idleness and complacency on their part. You bet they'd swoop if you dropped such a massive clanger.

In view of a national shortage of teachers and trainee teachers, we supply teachers are on the long end of the lever at last and should be in a better position to negotiate a better deal.

6. Montana_x

Montana_x New commenter

Hi Nearmiss, oh I completely agree with you. I have, in the past, got stressed over planning my own work because it's tricky to differentiate when you don't know the children and the provision of resources is just unreasonable. I'm not prepared to put in the hours or money to do this. Now I just do a blanket activity and differentiate with support! I agreed to this work because it's in an area I like and I desperately need the money!!