1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply/contracting, what to expect.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Thunderchild, Jan 13, 2012.

1. I have made the switch from Secondary to Primary education and I'm about to undertake some supply/contracting work. Although I'm now conversant with the National Strategies, have a bank of resources to take with me and have been volunteering in a local school for the past six weeks, I'm still feeling a little apprehensive. I might also point out that I'm only recently qualified. Will the work have been set when I arrive or will I be expected to work from the Scheme of Work? Will I have autonomy for lesson structure/content (following the National Strategies), or be expected to stick to the SOW? The school I'm at currently has not used any supply whilst I have been there and I've been told I'll be fine, but I just don't know what to expect or whether I'm building it up too much.

2. I have made the switch from Secondary to Primary education and I'm about to undertake some supply/contracting work. Although I'm now conversant with the National Strategies, have a bank of resources to take with me and have been volunteering in a local school for the past six weeks, I'm still feeling a little apprehensive. I might also point out that I'm only recently qualified. Will the work have been set when I arrive or will I be expected to work from the Scheme of Work? Will I have autonomy for lesson structure/content (following the National Strategies), or be expected to stick to the SOW? The school I'm at currently has not used any supply whilst I have been there and I've been told I'll be fine, but I just don't know what to expect or whether I'm building it up too much.

3. The key is "The school I'm at currently has not used any supply whilst I have been there". That's because there is very little supply work available in many areas. Go over to the supply forum and read some posts there. You will find many teachers who can count the number of supply days they've had in a YEAR on one hand.
    However, not everywhere is like that. I manage to get enough work but I don't want full time.
    Generally the work is set when you get to schools and you just need to follow the planning. It's always useful to have some bits and pieces up your sleeve in terms of games and songs and of course stories.
    Good luck but do go and look at the supply forum.

4. Thanks for your reply.

I will take that into consideration, but I do already have a supply position starting next week. My plan was to get some experience whilst looking for a full time position. I understand that the job market is difficult at the moment having come from a recession hit industry prior to my PGCE. I just wanted some clarification on what to expect when I walk through the door.

Many thanks.

5. As a supply teacher flexibility has to be your middle name!when you consider that a school could be hiring you to cover someone who has called in sick at 8.00 or to cover someone who is on a pre-arranged course it is obvious that you can walk in on all sorts of different degrees of readiness. However, it sounds as if your placement is pre-planned and long term. Is it to cover long term absence? In this situation you will probably find that there is a timetable set. There will probably be long term plans of some sort. If the class has recently had a permanent teacher there are likely to be medium term plans. If the class has already been having supply there may not be medium term plans and you may have to sort these out as you go along. In this situation you will have to think on your feet a lot to start with. Hopefully you will have a phase leader who will help a bit (but may not have time on that first morning), and of course, you may have a TA, who should be an invaluable support. It will be different if you have a parallel class. How many forms entry is the school? With a parallel class you should have more detailed plans, including weekly plans.However, whatever the situation is, when you go on Monday morning, you will only have a short time to suss it all out, so don't expect to get everything right that first day. Improvise as necessary, and have a few tricks up your sleeve in the way of games, books etc, suitable to the year group.