1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply can be really positive.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by speechcompanyinfo, Dec 14, 2019.

1. speechcompanyinfo

speechcompanyinfo New commenter

I've been having a good experience as a supply teacher, (despite the horrors of the grammar a few weeks ago), and my tips are these
    1)If there isn't a proper "all subjects" staff room and a "good morning" briefing from Deputy Head, then its a bit of a sad school.... nobody knows who is who and nobody cares...

2) If the staff member that you are covering, has sellotaped the work to be covered, onto the desk in his/her room, then its a good school and there is a respect for supply teachers and pupils. If its a dismissive "oh, its on the computer, but you don't have a login.." type of school, RUN. You'll get no respect. Complete your contract and leave.

3) If a staff member greets you with a smile and directs you to the tea, coffee... you're in a good school. If there's none of that …. just be careful...

4) If there is a clear policy about student code of conduct that is actually enforced , and they tell you.... you're in a good school. If you get the feeling that students can get away with bad conduct, (as in the grammar school), then be aware that you will be blamed for everything. RUN.

5) If the students stand up when an adult enters the room, (as in the current supply booking), then you're in a good school. If the students behave like a supply teacher is a waiter and they click their fingers at you, (as in the grammar school), RUN... it won't get better.

6) If the students line up outside the classroom and enter into the classroom in a respectful way, you're in a good school. If the students enter into the classroom like a herd of baby elephants, .. (as in the grammar school), and have no idea that there is a better way to "be", then you're in a tiresome school.

agathamorse, blazer and Jesmond12 like this.
  2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I do supply in Primary. Before I retired as a HT I made a point of visiting the supply teacher in the classroom to welcome them and then again at the end of the day to see how it had gone.

On supply now that is how I judge whether the school is a good one or not. I also appreciate it when the HT or DHT asks for a list of children who have not behaved so that they can deal with them.

agathamorse and hendo2015 like this.
  3. venny414

venny414 New commenter

I’m really sorry OP, but I can’t agree with much of what you’ve posted. In all the bookings I’ve had, a total of none of them have been as you’ve described above. But yet the majority of them have been excellent experiences and places that I would happily go to again.

In my experience, going into a booking with an open mind is the key to success. Despite what you’ve heard from others or read about in the Ofsted report, only doing a day at the school will give you an idea as to whether you want to return or not.

If I didn’t return to a school because the work wasn’t sellotaped to the desk or because the children don’t stand when an adult enters the room I’m not sure I would have worked very much at all!

hendo2015 likes this.