1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply as an NQT?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by aprilfcave, Jul 15, 2017.

1. aprilfcave

aprilfcave New commenter

Hi everyone.
    I'm an NQT, secondary RE in Somerset/Wiltshire area.
    Looking into supply as I haven't found a permanent post yet and I need a bit of money to keep me going until I do. I've been reading lots of the threads but I was hoping someone could just clarify a few things for me.

Looking to do 5 days a week, would I get this consistently?
    How far in advance do you know where you're going?
    What is standard for how long you'll be in a school?
    What should I be paid?
    When does pay come in?
    Should I apply to multiple agencies?

Thanks in advance!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

In some areas you may. No personal knowledge of your areas.

Day-to-day is often just that- a phone call early morning and then rush off. Expected absences for training (less of thos mid term these days) may be in advance as will longer-term posts.

Can vary from a day to a term/year in some cases.

What should I be paid?
    You'd have to check with individual agencies as rates can vary.

When does pay come in?
    Again varies from weekly to monthly or even the following month in the old days of LA work.

Yes if you want regular work.

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Excellent post above from Lara.

If you read the New to Supply thread pinned at the top of this forum, there are many good tips/ advice regarding starting out in supply. Some of the posts may answer your questions.

Lara mfl 05 and Landofla like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You should also be aware doing supply as an NQT is no picnic.

5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I've worked in many Wiltshire and North Somerset secondary schools. In general they have been some of the nicest ones I have worked in. I'm not allowed by TES rules to name some of the best but so what. Clevedon/Churchill/ Malmsbury/Sheldon/Hayesfield/St Gregs/Nailsea have all been decent places to work. Unfortuantly the better schools need supply teachers less frequently then the not so good schools, so you will have to put up with some poor placements at first.

As an NQT you might get a lower daily rate then other teachers although some agencies pay everyone the same, check with each before you take any application further.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Another time, use the PM facility, as naming names is generally frowned upon and might necessitate removing part of your post.

7. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Most agencies treat teachers really bad so do your research and find a good one.

Supply can be good for an NQT as it will make you stronger and help you build behaviour manager skills.

I dont know anyone who has had regular 5 days but you are abel to secure long term supply sometimes. Expect atleast £90 (agency will get £150 and keep £60) to start with but they may try to get you to do cover supervisor work to save money which is at around £60.

Dont expect to be a walk in the park or you will have a tough time. Be prepared.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. steveshortland25

steveshortland25 New commenter

Hi Aprilfcave,

I am an NQT who has just completed a terms worth of supply work, I have thoroughly enjoyed it! There have been days where I just didnt want to go back (to certain schools) but its a good way of building resilience - especially for new teachers.

I am trained in History - but as with any humanities subject, it is good to be able to say that you are willing to explore the other hums subjects? I work in Norfolk, and started off with day to day. There was constant work for Hums/general cover and since Easter I have only had 3 days where there has been no work. I was then booked up from 1/2 term to the end of the summer term in an amazing school. If you are willing to travel, then there could be a steady stream of work!

For the day to day work, I was called no later than 7.15. Usually asked to be in school for 830/845. so plenty of time to jump in the car and head off. Just make sure you're ready to go when you get the phone call. (im an early bird, getting up at 445/5am so had no issues with that!)

There have been some schools that I have been in for 1 or 2 days, my current placement has lasted 6 weeks. It depends what they need and what the reason for absence is usually.

What should I be paid?

As an NQT, I would say expect between 95 and 110. If you work out MPS1 on a weekly wage, it shows about 85 a day. so anything higher than that is a bonus right? I started on 110 and now getting paid more for the longer block placement.

When does pay come in?

I only have experience of 1 agency. They pay weekly (but they pay a week in arrears - so it could be 2 weeks before you get any money)

Depends on your local area! I was lucky with the agency I signed up with. They're super friendly and always willing to accommodate when needed. I have had no need to go with another agency. If work is slow, then it might be wise to sign up with 2 or 3 i guess?

Hope this all helps?

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. aprilfcave

aprilfcave New commenter

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your comments, they're really helpful!
    It's a bit difficult to find which agencies are good and bad for the fact, which you've all mentioned, that you can't really name and shame. I will keep digging and finding out!

Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Maybe someone on here will see your post and PM which agency they use if they are in your area.

Don't forget you can contact schools directly and see which agencies they use, or whether youncsn work directly for them.

All the best with supply and do let us know how you get on and keep in touch.

aprilfcave and Lara mfl 05 like this.