1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply Application and Reference HELP!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Mummymoo1991, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Mummymoo1991

Mummymoo1991 New commenter

Hello!

I left my school in December following bullying from the head teacher because I had my baby prematurely and developed post-natal depression. Long story short, unions had to get involved to get me an agreed reference which is better then what she was going to write but is not exactly glowing, I do have my final NQT report and lesson observations which say otherwise.

I have now fully recovered from my post-natal and I want to return to teaching by doing supply just to build my confidence back up. How do I explain why I left my job? Will they be understanding? I am paranoid they won't want me as a supply teacher all because of my previous head and my post-natal! Please help! How do I begin to explain this?

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

If you go through a supply agency and you have a reference then I can assure you the agency won't care and will get you work.

There are many,many teachers who leave their posts just for the reasons you state; agencies have heard it all and seen it all.

If you decide not to go through an agency and approach schools directly don't see a problem here either as long as you have the agreed reference.

Once you start to get your confidence back, you will motor. Congratulations on your new baby. If In were you, I would not try to do too much just to get started so you don't get too tired and so you can still enjoy your new baby.

Mummymoo1991 and PizzoCalabro like this.
  3. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Remember that you have had a baby and lots of people take a break to care for their child for a while.

Mummymoo1991 and pepper5 like this.
  4. Fraccy

Fraccy New commenter

Precisely why you left your job is a private matter - as private as you want it to be. You're under no obligation to provide the whole story. Be neutral and dispassionate; don't ever say anything disparaging about your previous role (or head), or about yourself.

And remember, you shouldn't care whether your new employer is 'understanding'. Be confident! Your employment is a business transaction: your expert services in exchange for payment.

5. educ80

educ80 Occasional commenter

As an employer all I would urge is an honest approach. As a previous poster has said, your business is your own, however any agency worth their salt will ask the reasons behind the termination of your last employment. Imagine if you were a head or an employer and someone came to you and said "I left my last job but I don't want to talk about it....." As understanding as you want to be, if your job is to ensure children are safe then you would ask more questions and ultimately if you refuse to answer them then you become unemployable.
    I think the phrase used 'the agency won't care' is perhaps misleading, as they should ask any questions relating to last employment but an "agreed" reference, a University reference and some good testimonial should see you right.
    Whether you go via agencies or direct it is important to engender trust with your employer so explain your concerns and background, a reasonable employer will be honest in return. The worst case scenario is that you hide/neglect to mention certain things and it points toward guilt and if something "comes out" down the line then schools will perceive this as more negative than the 'incident' itself.
    What you have been through is difficult but unfortunately not uncommon and any employer you want to work for should consider your ability to overcome difficulty as an assett not a weakness.
    Good luck

bluey9 and Mummymoo1991 like this.
  6. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

From what I have seen, all agencies want is warm bodies to put in schools with DBS, QTS, 2 refs, right-to-work in UK - anything else is irrelevant.
    You are an asset - please do not undersell yourself!

7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

What I meant was that the agencies won't care about someone being off I'll with post natal depression as long as they are well now and have a reference.

Of course references are needed and so they should be, but once you start supply the past is irrelevant to some extent: what schools care about is how you teach in their schools, the way you manage behaviour, and your general conduct. That is one of the great things about supply as it can be a fresh start and a way to try out different schools, get experience, and tomregain confidence.

Mummymoo1991 likes this.
  8. educ80

educ80 Occasional commenter

Sorry, that wasn't meant as a criticism, more an observation. I agree that supply used in the right way can be an excellent way of re-connecting with the essence of teaching and to find confidence in your abilities. SLT and/or staffroom politics can often knock confidence, supply can be a great way to get that confidence back.