1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply - any luck?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by cteach23, Nov 3, 2015.

1. cteach23

cteach23 New commenter

Hi guys,

I've just come on to supply and waiting for a call. I've been with this supply agency before but then left when I went into full time employment. I recently left that job and want to do day to day supply for a while before I go back into work. Everything is more or less set up with the agency (just awaiting my latest DBS) but they said they can use my current DBS as it hasn't expired, until my new one comes through. I have rang everyday for the last week and had no luck in getting work yet from them. I know it is early doors but it is starting to get me down a little! All I want to do is work! Is anyone having better luck than me or is it just a slow time for supply as of late?

Thanks

xx

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

Some other posters have reported it being slow in various parts of the country. One week of waiting for work isn't long, although it probably seems like forever go you.

Read the thread about Hays...on it is some excellent advice about contacting schools directly to get work; in addition to contacting schools directly, you may consider joining at !east one other agency since it is best to be registered with at least two, but combine that with contacting schools directly.

Try not to worry...once you get some work and do a good job, you are bound to get some repeat bookings. Do,however, contact some schools directly.

Let us know how you get on.

Pepper5

3. cteach23

cteach23 New commenter

Thanks for your reply pepper, I will have a look at that thread.

How do you go about contacting schools directly? Would that be for doing supply work via the school rather than an agency or is that for permanant jobs? Also,what is putting me off joining more than 1 agency is that they always want to have a new DBS which costs £44 a time and obviously, this is quite a big amount for someone out of work as I'm sure you can imagine! X

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

You can apply directly to schools for either permanent or supply work. If you read the thread about Hays, another poster wrote some very sound advice about contacting schools!s directly and how to go about it.

If you register with the DBS update service, you don't have to pay for multiple DBS checks. I am not sure of the DBS update web site, it if you Google search DBS update service, you should find their site and how to register or ask your agency for details.

5. cteach23

cteach23 New commenter

Thanks again for this. So as long as I sign up to the update service, will it not cost me another £44 for a DBS if I join another agency? Will it just come through when I apply through their agency name? If that makes sense!

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

No the update service is around £13 per year. Once you join and pay the fee, it remains £13. You do have to join fairly quickly within a few days to getting your DBS, so you might not be able to join this time around and have to do it the next time you app!y for DBS certificate. Your age cy should have advised you, but check out the DBS web site or ask your agency. It is worth doing since one you are registered with the update service, any school can check your status avoiding the need for reapplying for multiple D B S certificates.

snowyhead likes this.
  7. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

There is a time limit to register for the DBS up-date service: within 19 days of receiving your DBS certificate number. As @pepper5 says: your agency should have advised you of this. Once registered you can add other certificate numbers to your record, as long as you do so within the 19 day time frame. The only reason I can think that agencies would not push the DBS up-date service is to make it less attractive for you to sign up to other agencies.