1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply and Pay

Discussion in 'Primary' started by alicemywonderland, Mar 8, 2019.

1. alicemywonderland

alicemywonderland New commenter

I would love some advice from any Primary supply teachers out there....
    I've been doing supply for a year and a half in West Sussex and as I only look for a couple of days a week I am only with one agency. I have had 'regular' days at various schools and without sounding boastful I know I have made a good impression on the schools I have worked in.
    I have recently taken a day at an EXTREMELY challenging school and whilst I am not one to shy away from a challenge I am wondering whether to stick with it when I could just do 'easier' schools.
    The senior staff are very keen to compliment me (this is just so I return!) whilst the rest of the staff couldn't seem to care less about the school and raising standards.
    Am I being ridiculous in thinking I should ask the agency for a higher rate of pay for days at this school?
    I am concerned that if I do and decline visits to this school they will call me last for other job opportunities.
    I KNOW several suppy teachers refuse to go to this school.
    Help!
    What is the daily rate I should expect? and has anyone ever asked an agency for a payrise?
    Thanks in advance

thekillers1 likes this.
  2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

You can't get different rates in different schools. Think of the positives you'll get from working there - the best CPD and experience I've ever had has come from day to day trial and error of behaviour management, teaching styles etc with difficult schools whose children made me work to get them hooked. Once I'd got them, there was no feeling like it.
    Make the most of this while you can walk away if you need to, but this is actually a gift horse that you shouldn't look in the mouth.

thekillers1 likes this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Why not? Every single one of my supply pay jobs has been down to negotiation and because I'm fortunate to be Maths/Science in West Yorkshire and don't mind bottom-end schools I'm getting up to £195 a day (through a UC so take home just under £130). If the agency could get away with it I'm sure I'd be kept on a near constant £120 though.
    No not at all. Just decide how to play it but you won't lose out, agencies can't afford to shun a supply who can do a decent job in a rubbish school.
    In your position I've bought beers for a friend of mine in business-to-business sales. He knows nothing of education but is brilliant at the BS that comes up in negotiations. I run scenarios past him and he advises me how to play them. Well worth the destruction of his liver.
    Unless the portable DBS is too expensive, suggest you sign with a few more. Different agencies gives you the scope to lie when asked, "What were you on for the last job?"

EDIT: Just read the word "Primary" at the top of the forum. Doesn't change the quality of my advice though it is Secondary based. If anything Primary supply is even more of a cash-cow for the agency as the school is less likely to be able negotiate strongly so there's more of an agency cut to fight for.

BetterNow likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Definitely ask for more money, you can certainly negotiate different rate for different schools. If this school is a nightmare and the agency find it hard to place teachers there, they will be only too happy to pay you an extra £30 or so a day for you to keep going back!

I've not done supply for quite a number of years, but this is the kind of thing I used to do and it was always agreed. As education is far more of a marketplace now than it was then, I can't see why you shouldn't try.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  5. alicemywonderland

Thank you for all your comments. I think I am going to call and ask. If I lose the day a week its Ok. Now I just have to be brave enough to do it!
    I get £110 pre deductions and after reading in forums I am hoping a little more could be added.
    I'll post an update later

6. alicemywonderland

Thanks everyone! I made the call and have got myself a higher rate. Not sure if it is for that school alone or overall yet but am awaiting an email. Was informed that I have always had great feedback from schools - a compliment! Didn't know Supply teachers got these?!
    At least the efforts I put in will be rewarded.
    Thanks again

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  7. alicemywonderland

BIG backtrack from the agency today.... an increased rate for just this week then shockingly they think the school won't need anyone....... coincidence?!
    She also told me that they had asked the school for more.... rubbish?!
    It's their cut isn't it?
    They have obviously decided to place someone cheaper.... ripping everyone off. Don't worry have already registered interest with another agency....
    Wish me luck!

8. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

If it’s the agency playing fast and loose then you’re in a strong position to go directly to the Head and point out that you really like working there and could you be employed direct as the agency can’t be trusted.
    Of course the school might be the devious party here but what do you have to lose?
    @sparkleghirl posted on this for a slightly different context a few weeks ago but I can’t find it.