1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

supply and chid care

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Njambu, Jan 21, 2011.

1. am just wondering how those of us with young children juggle supply with chid care. i have a 21mths old daughter who goes to childminder 2 days a week(contracted). this was agreed in my previous job (non teaching)which ended last year. when i started supply i decided to retain the 2days, if am lucky am called for work, but if unlucky i go to work for hubby who is self employed.
    My childminder has now agreed to have her on morning bookings for the rest of the days which i thought was great as i could be dropping her as n when am called for work. However, my agency normally calls me anyting after 8, never been earlier, during this time my CM is doing school runs. the next time i can get hold of her is 9ish which will be too late.
    With work being so little, even been called for work is a miracle in itself so as much as i would like to think that i could ask agency to give me work earlier or on the day before, i know this may never happen.i cant afford to book my CM for a week as it will be too expensive.
    hence my question, how are we coping with supply with young children to look after. i.e if am not the only one trying supply with a young child.

2. am just wondering how those of us with young children juggle supply with chid care. i have a 21mths old daughter who goes to childminder 2 days a week(contracted). this was agreed in my previous job (non teaching)which ended last year. when i started supply i decided to retain the 2days, if am lucky am called for work, but if unlucky i go to work for hubby who is self employed.
    My childminder has now agreed to have her on morning bookings for the rest of the days which i thought was great as i could be dropping her as n when am called for work. However, my agency normally calls me anyting after 8, never been earlier, during this time my CM is doing school runs. the next time i can get hold of her is 9ish which will be too late.
    With work being so little, even been called for work is a miracle in itself so as much as i would like to think that i could ask agency to give me work earlier or on the day before, i know this may never happen.i cant afford to book my CM for a week as it will be too expensive.
    hence my question, how are we coping with supply with young children to look after. i.e if am not the only one trying supply with a young child.

3. littlelebowski

littlelebowski New commenter

Hi there,
    I feel your pain! I'm in a very similar situation. With supply being so variable, I don't feel I can afford to pay for regular childcare, so I've been relying on friends and family. It's not easy, that's for sure.
    It sometimes isn't worth it financially to work an afternoon, although it is good experience. However, I never say no if I'm available...and then panic about what I will do with the kids! The teacher of my youngest is a friend and says she is happy to hold onto them for a bit although I don't like to impose. I do remember a parent when I was on placement who regularly turned up 45 minutes late(!!) shouting "I'm here now! Couldn't help it! I'm a supply teacher!!" It did used to get on our nerves beause she never apologised, and her poor son used to get quite upset.

4. HI
    I too understand your pain. I have been lucky enough to get regular long term supply days for most of the year. However these can change at short notice which causes chaos. I have a wonderful mother who is often able to help me out when I am stuck, but even she needs notice! I have similarly booked a number of days of before and after school care which I normally use, but even they are fed up of me asking to change my days or add another single day at short notice. Generally I encourage schools to ring me the day before if at all possible and this helps - but I am sure that I lose supply because of this. All I can sayid best of luck - and it does get easier. My eldest is now at secondary and I no longer have to factor her in to my arrangements.....

5. brunetta

brunetta New commenter

Hi there
    No, you're not the only one. I have 2 primary aged childen and in my case it means that I can only take pre-bookings so that I can plan for childcare. Sometimes I get a call in the morning for an afternoon job, take it and worry about childcare. Fortunately the after school club at my children's school is flexible enough that they can usually accommodate the odd day and other times there are a couple of friends I can call on. Not brilliant but I don't have family nearby who can help. It does mean that, as I can only take pre-bookings, I don't get a lot of work. Also means that my children don't really know what's happening either i.e. are they going to be picked up by mum, going to club or being picked up by a friend's mum.That isn't ideal either.
    So, no magic solution I'm afraid and I'm getting quite fed up of the situation. There seems to be little supply as it is and then when one can only do pre-bookings....[​IMG]

6. I started supplying in April last year when my small daughter was 2 and 4 months. For the first two weeks she went to my parents and when it looked like the supply work was going well, I took the plunge and booked her into a nursery fulltime. The summer went well - I didn't get work every day but it was still worth it.
    In June I moved in with my fiancé and we got married in July. Come September things changed - the work was non-existent. I ended up having to pull my dd out of nursery and tell my agency I was only available for afternoons, as my husband works nights, and gets up in the afternoon so he could look after her if necessary.
    In December she was 3, so as of January we have had the 15 free hours a week. I booked her in for afternoons 12-3 and I pay an extra hour so she can stay till 4. If I get work near the nursery and I can be there for 4, I pick her up, if I am working further away then my husband picks her up. The nursery also has a couple of free places in the morning so if a school asks for me for a full day then I can ring up and ask them if they will have her.
    A local school has been asking for me a lot since we came back in January and I am debating booking her in full time so I am available for them if they need me. I was there 4 days last week and they have booked me in Mon and Tues next week with a possibility of Wed. If I can become their regular supply teacher I could get a fair amount of work from them and it would be worth booking her in for full time. It's only five mins from the nursery to the school so it is ideal.

7. littlelebowski

littlelebowski New commenter

Fingers crossed Robsia - that sounds very promising!

8. I think I'm very lucky as the breakfast club and after-school club at my children's school has always been able to take them even at short notice (although they have told me that would change if they were full with permanent bookings, which is fair enough). I don't work for an agency but get asked directly by schools so if I get a call at 8.30 and it is a school I know well I just say I'm available but would they mind if I take my own children to school first and turn up about 9.30. They don't seem to mind, which is great. When my children were younger their nursery was equally flexible, which was great. Mind you, I am talking about the good old days when the same two very lovely village schools would call me in 2 or 3 times a week, mainly on pre-bookings. I'm getting nostalgic now.

9. I don't have children yet but I am hoping to get preggers soon and also plan to carry on supply- if it lasts! I've been thinking about what to do when I do. Hopefully my mum will have them some days a week and I guess I'll have to book certain days with her -trying to work out when I am busiest and hope I get booked those days and she can come around mine to get them.
    Also, what about your husband/partner if you have one? I am planning on my hubby dropping the kids at school/nursery on his way to work so I don't have to and then booking my kids into after school clubs. Then I guess hope I get a call. Hopefully, i'll get them into the school around the corner.
    I've worked at a nursery at a school recently and they have quite a liberal system. They have kids they are expecting and have a register but if additonal children turn up they take them. Some children stay half days some whole days and again this is determined in the morning. Parents can say 'Oh I am not picking up so and so up until after nursery today' and it's ok. Guess I'll need to find a flexible place like that. If the worse comes to the worse my hubby is self-employed and could take them to work.
    Also, planning on maybe moving nearer the mother in law so if my mum doesn't look after them she will. It's hard though.

10. I am coming to the end of a contract (part time since Nov09), and will be returning to supply. I will be only doing part time. I have 2 children, both at school, and have a childminder before and after school. I drop them off at 7.40, and pick them up at 5.15. The morning sessions cost £7 per child, the after school, £9 per child, so £32 per day. I also pay half rates during holidays, when of course, doing supply means no salary!!! I have to pay even if I do not get any work, so a hefty amount to pay! I only plan to work 2 days a week, but am contracted to the days for my childcare, so no flexibility. My childminder is lovely, am so lucky that the kids (5 and 6) love going there. My husband is claiming the salary sacrifice scheme - basically £243 month deducted from his salary each month to go towards child care. This saves him about £1100 a year in tax. if I don't get any work, the dilemma is, whether or not to stop these deductions for childcare. There is a catch though, as the gov will be stopping new claimants at the higher rate tax, so we will miss out!

I really wish we had a flexible wrap round care at school, but no!!! And no family either. Am tempted to look for TA work, as if it works round the school drop offs, will actually earn more money!