1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply already booked for September?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by teslagirls1, Jul 27, 2015.

1. teslagirls1

teslagirls1 New commenter

Hi, I'm sure that lots of you are enjoying the summer break already especially since there is no planning or classrooms to be set up. How many of you have bookings for the new term already on your calendars?

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I suspect next year will be another bumper year for supply so there should be plenty of work.

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I agree with peakster that it will be another bumper year for supply so we had better enjoy the break while we can.

4. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

Yes, I'm already booked. There is a huge amount of primary supply available in my area. I used to be secondary, but that died a death with the advent of cover supervisors. I do worry that primary will one day go the same way....... :(

5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Cannot comment on other regions but here in South West England the cover supervisor is not such a common beast. Schools do employ a small number (1 or 2 per school) but not the vast armies they used to.

I guess they realised it wasn't such a money saver they first though since cover supervisors still need paying when they; go sick, schools are closed for snow days , maternity/paternity leave etc. Supply Teachers do not cost the school anything when these things happen.

As a consequence secondary supply has greatly improved recently and I see no reason why primary should suffer. I also read recently that due to the baby boom of a few years ago (and perhaps migrants from EU countries) the number of secondary students will rise. Add to that , that large numbers of teachers are packing it in suggests that supply teaching might be on the rise (but then I also believe in gold at the end of a rainbow).

6. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Haven't got anything for September. Was so tired in July that I didn't put myself forward for anything. Just wanted to "wait and see"...

7. I already have worked booked for September but I DO have to go in and set up the classroom and do planning etc, medium term as well as daily plans. It's only for 2 days a week though which suits me fine and is only for half a term so I'm not stressing over any of it.

8. teslagirls1

teslagirls1 New commenter

Great to hear that some of you are predicting a bumper supply year. I've been supplying for a couple of years now and am amazed how busy I am. Even on days which I think might have no work I often get offered some. It's definetly worth working for a few agencies I find. I've been lucky enough to be offered a contract by a school for 4 days a week which is great and means I only need supply work for 1 extra day to fill up my diary. I am very grateful :)

9. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi teslagirl1

Well done for getting fixed up with four day. Amazing isn't...the harder you work the luckier you get.

10. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

So, in view of this shortage of teachers and high demand for supply, we can assume that the agencies are sweetening the deal? If they haven't offered you one, ask for a rise. I was talking to someone yesterday who has negotiated £185. If you don't ask, you don't get.

11. mikedavis

mikedavis New commenter

I'm fixed up until Christmas. Had a busy year last year. Well said nearmiss, always ask what you're being paid and ask for a bit more. £185 is really good going though!

12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I am glad to hear people are getting work. Although it was busy last term, it could slow down.

If it starts to get busy again I am definitely going to as one of my agencies for more since they tend to send me to the most challenging schools with the biggest classes sometimes with 33 kids in the class.

When is a good time to broach the subject? Should I do it over the summer or wait until schools reopen?

13. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

The most I ever managed to get on supply was £190 per day for a long term role, which was a few years ago now. The most I have got recently is £125 per day with one agency. The others pay me £110, although one has promised to increase this to the grand total of £115 per day from September :)

14. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Pepper, I always read your posts with interest as you clearly know your stuff and go in with real professionalism. You have to let your agencies know that you're the real deal and insist that they reward your dedication. Supply teachers have such a bad reputation and those who can deliver the goods deserve to be rewarded and set a precedent for everyone who does this demanding job. It's quiet at the agency offices right now but not for long, so they need to know that they have loyal staff ready to go next term. Ask now.

15. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

nearmiss

Thank you for your kind words of affirmation and advice which are greatly appreciated. I always try to do my best. I am sure, however, I have a lot more to learn and that is why although supply teaching can be hard, it is very educational!

I shall ask and will let you know in due course if I am successful.

You are right about supply teaching being demanding; it gets a bit harder each year and really it is a craft in its own right.

16. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I'm still looking for supply for September 2012! In my neck of the woods, there just seems to be nothing about.

17. horseykitty

horseykitty New commenter

Wow £190 a day! I've just finished a long term post (2.5 years) and by the end of it the agency had reduced my pay to £105 a day. I did consider taking them on about not paying me to scale etc... but after ringing ACAS (who were useless) I decided to write it off - I don't need the stress. I should have kept an eye on things and stood up for myself a bit more.

I have voted with my feet and joined another agency - I have just over six weeks booked for Sept/Oct and the new agency are paying me considerably more per day. Result!

18. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Well done HK and congratulations on your new agency and your new pay. Your old agency got what they deserve which resulted in losing a good teacher from their books.

Your experience highlights how some agencies will try to take advantage and people do have to stand up for themselves.

19. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

I watch this thread with baited (sp) breath and I'm going to go in for the kill. I have been at a school recently for 2 years. Yes i was paid to scale after 12 weeks and enjoyed the money. I went through ofsted (three observations) parent consultations, enjoyed my own CPD courses and so now i should demand to go through the threshold having stuck with a school which is now out of special measures and doing well. Ive only been with one agency but their reputation is good (considering) They negotiated a special rate with the school in order to be able to pay me my m6 rate. And now after 8 years of supply teaching i deserve a rise.

Ive decided to enjoy the summer holidays and have nothing booked for September as yet, although i now have a full time job teaching as a supply teacher abroad. I don't know when i will be assigned a school but until then i will work with my agency. Greedy you may think and cheeky, but I've worked my big butt off for them for the last 6 years and i deserve some recompense.

20. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

oh yes, i have definately developed grey hairs being full time with 60 hours per week. I need the pay rise for the hair dye now. Well done everyone for keeping positive and lets cash in on what we can get from now on.