1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply alongside part time contract?

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by BeckyElizabeth, Oct 9, 2018.

1. BeckyElizabeth

BeckyElizabeth New commenter

Just curious if anyone has ever worked supply (or in any other work really!) alongside a 0.5 contract?

I can’t afford to only work part time, but have fallen in love with the school!

It’s a primary teaching position if that info is useful!

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Yes, definitely. Extra hours on supply at your own school can be paid at your normal pay scale. If working at a different school it might depend whether they pay through the LA or want to go through agencies. Lots of people have done both.

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Double check that bit. It's up to the school what rate they pay existing staff on supply. Our school pays only on the Mainscale, even if your contracted job is on UPS.

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I suppose that could depend on whether the supply hours are additional hours for the job you are employed or extra supply days covering other work in other classes. In the latter case, I could see the logic of sticking to a standard amount on MPS.

5. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

Yes, I have often worked on supply while on a part time contract, both in my own school and at different schools, sometimes in a different LEA.

6. whatsabunny

whatsabunny New commenter

I've gone part time this year (0.6) and have signed up to supply and take part in some work around that through an agency. However most of my additional income is through tutoring. In fact I'm earning more than I was full time with just one day a month supply plus my regular 6 students. Have you looked into tutoring at all? It also provides income over school holidays