1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply agency withholding reference for another supply agency

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Tiggy99, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Tiggy99

Tiggy99 New commenter

I am in the process of securing a term’s work and I may need to switch agencies. My new supply agency are waiting on a reference from my current agency despite numerous requests from myself and them. My current agency are hoping to keep me and my new school but the new school are having difficulty agreeing terms. I am currently in a long term position that I will be leaving at Christmas. My current agency are also asking me not to say anything to my current school. What can I / should I do?
    Thanks !

Happyregardless likes this.
  2. educ80

educ80 Occasional commenter

Hi Tiggy99,

You are in a bit of a quandary here. Does your current school (X) have any idea you are leaving? I would suggest that you have to speak to your current school, even if just to ensure your professional name is not sullied. If you leave it until the last minute, or worse, leave it to the current agency (A) to 'email them over Xmas' then it really puts that school in an invidious position as they have to find a replacement for youand that will be a black mark against your name.

Your new agency (B) will want you to keep quiet with your current school (X) because if they find out that B have caused you to no longer be there, then X will be angry at B and that loses them a potential client.

Agency A can not refuse to do a reference, but it may be prudent to ask Agency B to copy you into any email request they send to Agency A to prove the reference has been sent and received. If they carry on stalling then tell A that you will leave them for good if they don't do it - but if they do it you would work for them again in the future when you're back around.

What new terms do New School (Y) have to agree? Are both Agencies involved with the work at Y?

Remember, you are in a good position and that you have, effectively, two job offers for January. If you maintain your professionalism with all parties, make a decision on which Agency/School you want, and stick to it. If the other parties dont respect your decision then you are well to be shut of them.

Tiggy99 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. Tiggy99

Tiggy99 New commenter

4. Tiggy99

Tiggy99 New commenter

Hi. Thank you for your reply. The agency I am currently with are trying to acquire a new school, keep me and fill my current position. The new school is disputing the daily fee on top of my rate as it is too high for a long term position. The new school is already registered with the other agency who are waiting for the reference.
    You are right. I should speak to my current school and let them know I am leaving. They can choose how to fill my spot next term. It is a job share. The current school is 75% agency anyway. What a state of affairs!

5. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

I had this recently! well, similar? 'main agency' phoned me up and said "They'd had some man on the phone asking for reference and that he was saying that they were stopping me getting a booking with them because of being slow providing reference etc!" They told me they thought it could be a safeguarding issue because obviously anyone could ring up and ask for a reference for you etc lol
    Hilarious! They know exactly who this other consultant is, they just want me allllllllll for themselves!

They HAVE to at least say dates that you've worked for them etc as a matter of course.
    I assured them I had indeed registered with other agencies ( which they already knew as had also done this in the past) and 'as if by magic' (!) the reference was through the next day!

Now I have two agencies 'competing' to see who can get me the work first - good position!
    The bonus is the 'main' agency have got up off their lazy laurels and got their *** back in gear again! ;)

pepper5 and Tiggy99 like this.
  6. Tiggy99

Tiggy99 New commenter

My current agency know that the other agency is kosher! I have called and emailed to ask for it to be completed and the other agency have also emailed and called on numerous occasions. It’s making me want to move agencies to be honest !

pepper5 likes this.
  7. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I always used the Head of Department I had worked in for a reference and they were always happy to do one. I never asked my agency for references,

Use the school not the agency.