1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply Agency- School Contract : Release Fees?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Nicola120785, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I really need some advice, i'm so confused and having a bit of a dilemma!
    A few years ago I did about 9 weeks of supply at the same school through a particular agency.
    I kept in contact with the school (help from head to find jobs, references etc.) and then worked for another school on a years contract. Then my contract with my school finished.
    The previous school asked me to do some supply work, but rather than go with the LA, I contacted the agency i used to work for and asked if I could work through them. The agency dont ring me, I always ring them when the schools rings me.
    Now the school has offered me a 6 month contract, but I dont know whether to tell the agency??! I dont know whether the agency would dare demand a release fee, when I was the one that brought the work to them?
    Help Please!! what do I do? Do i just not ring the agency? Do I tell them and hope for the best? Do I ask the school to call them? I am soooo confused.
    Nicola

2. If the agency get wind of it, they WILL fee. Unless it's been longer than three months since you've worked at the school, then the school will be forced to pay it or let you go.
    This will usually have detrimental effect on you, not the agency or the school as they will fee 20% of your annual salary even if it's only for 6 months.

I personally can see both sides in this but if I'm honest you're probably better off having a quick chat with the agency to see their stance.

3. Take up the contract, cross your fingers and make hay whilst the sun shines. Given the situation, I'd expect agencies to chase people for breach of contract a bit more, I always cross out bits of contracts I don't like, particularly these clawback, scummy parts. A lot of people don't exercise their right to do this and just swallow it.

4. This is really bad though, since I could of chosen to work for them through the LEA anyway and I brought the work to them. The school hasnt even had any contact with the agency!
    What if I got the 6 month contract by applying for it? and tell the agency I got the job through my own back?
    ahhhhh!
    Nicola

5. When was you last at the school through the agency?

If you went to the agency with this then they'll think all their christmas's hav come at once and it sounds like they haven't managed either you or the school in an approriate way.

6. I was at the school last week with the agency, and im suppose to be working for 2 weeks for them for the school next week before the contract starts :(

7. If it was out of the blue then you might have an argument but I don't think in this scenario you have got a leg to stand on unfortunately.
    one option to get around it though, sometimes if the school agrees to use the agency to be the first port of call for any upcoming vacancies and bookings then they will let you do it without going through them or charging the school.