1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply agency recommendations

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by rrobinson17, Jul 30, 2019.

1. rrobinson17

rrobinson17 New commenter

Hi,

I am new to supply and wanting to find a company nearby due to health reasons. Can anyone recommend any supply agencies in the Rotherham/Barnsley Primary schools area that have a good reputation and work available?

Please private message me to avoid naming specific companies on the thread as I am aware this isn’t allowed.

Thank you for any help xx

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Hi,

I do supply in Chesterfield and Sheffield. I won’t travel to Barnsley or Rotherham but my agency does deal with schools there.

I will name them as they are owned by TES- they are Vision for Education based in Sheffield. Ask for Laura or Danny. I do recommend them as they have always treated me fairly and I have had plenty of work since I started in January this year.

mtalbot1981 and pepper5 like this.
  3. rrobinson17

rrobinson17 New commenter

Thankyou I have heard of them before? Are they PAYE? Don’t like the idea of umbrella companies xx

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I never knew TES owned a supply agency!

5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

From their website.

Tes and Vision for Education
    In June 2014, Vision for Education became part of Tes, a fast-growing digital education company committed to supporting teaching and learning. Dedicated to supporting the world’s teachers, their mission is to enable great teaching by helping educators find the tools and technology they need to excel, and by supporting them throughout their career and professional development.

Tes is home to the world’s largest online community of teachers, with 8 million registered users, and hosts the UK’s leading marketplace for teaching jobs. Vision for Education’s supportive and ethical business model allows Tes to complement their offer with a recruitment partner that schools can trust, and that teaching staff can depend on to ensure their continued professional development.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  6. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

TES also owns ABC

7. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

They are PAYE and you get paid a week in arrears regardless of whether they have received payment from the school.

8. mtalbot1981

mtalbot1981 New commenter

all the TES supply agencies are PAYE. The Sheffield team do well for their teachers/ta's

Jesmond12 likes this.
  9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I will happily vouch for that. Are you Primary or Secondary MT?

10. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Where possible, avoid taking supply work through agencies, as they charge the schools a lot more than they pay you. However, that being said, you need to ask agencies these questions.

Do you pay to scale for long-term placements? (some agencies do, but only if you ask)
    Will you pay me on a PAYE basis in-house and not through an Umbrella Company?
    Are all your placements for teaching roles? (some place as a cover supervisor without telling you)
    Do you pay for trial days?
    Are the pay rates you quoted fixed?
    Will you accept my DBS update status?

If the answer to any of these is "No", then I'd advise you move on.