1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply Agencies

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Mrbusiness96, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Mrbusiness96

Mrbusiness96 New commenter

Hi,

I am thinking about going into supply teaching.

Has anyone got any advice before i head into it and does anyone know of good supply agencies in or near Derby?

Thanks,

Reece

2. supply287

supply287 New commenter

Depends on your age, situation etc.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

If you have a pension or other income coming in regularly or if you're otherwise not totally or mostly reliant on what you earn then go for it. If not, don't do it.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

As others have posted, so much depends on your circumstances. For example, if you are looking to supplement a pension, then go for it. If you have been a stay-at-home dad who is now looking to re-enter the workplace and is trying to get up-to-date experience before applying for an established teaching position, then yep makes sense. If you are looking for something flexible because you are studying or have caring responsibilities or are looking for a stop-gap or whatever then it can work well. If this is a conscious career choice, I would think very very carefully. Work can be quite scarce with significant geographical variations. Rates of pay can also vary considerably. In some areas, secondary teachers can struggle to find work paid at teaching rather than cover supervisor rates. Availability of long-term positions can vary considerably and depend on your subject. Many schools are struggling financially and as such supply is a last resort.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@Mrbusiness96: Depending on supply teaching as you sole, or major, source of income is untenable.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. ringlets

ringlets New commenter

I second this

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  7. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Even long term work seems hard to get this year. And is probably close to a permanent job in disadvantages...

If you're a teacher in a permanent role looking to get out supply could fill a gap if you have enough savings to get by for a few months. If you have had enough of teaching look for an alternative career rather than at Supply.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. mtalbot1981

mtalbot1981 New commenter

Drop me a line Reece. Thanks Mike