1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply Agencies: stick to one or be on a few books?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by funkyfairy2004, Mar 10, 2016.

1. funkyfairy2004

funkyfairy2004 New commenter

Hi, I have finally taken the plunge and resigned from my job!
    This means that in September it is highly likely that I will be working as a supply teacher for a little while.
    I have arranged to register with one agency but I was wondering if people manage to juggle being with more than one agency or should I try this one out first and see how I get on?
    Thanks
    Funky

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

More and more people are trying to get work by contacting schools directly instead of using agencies. There is a thread on here somewhere written my nearmiss with lots of good advice on how to gomabout it. If you search the site, you will find it.

However, some schools will only use agencies. If you can't get work directly and have to use agencies, sign upmwith tow and at the most three. If agency a does not give you work on any certain day, then agency b might have something. Ask around in your area which agencies people recommend to try to go with the agencies that pay the best and have the most professional ethos.

Between now and September try to put as much money to the sidenas you can since it does take a little while for supply to pick up in September; usually about two or three weeks into the term.

PizzoCalabro likes this.
  3. Fraccy

Fraccy New commenter

The best agency I joined (i.e. so far, they've consistently provided more work than any other) advised me to join one or two other agencies. This was a surprise! But it's sound advice: it's easier to turn down jobs than to have to wait for the phone to ring...

pepper5 likes this.
  4. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

I signed up with every agency in my area so that I could work out which were the decent ones. I now work exclusively with one as they get me lots of work and I am very happy with them.

5. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

Signed with four, whittled to two, now with one of those and my direct schools.
    Keeps 'em keen if they know you have others...

6. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

7. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Perhaps London is an exception, as there seems to be a teaching agency on every corner. I joined two initially, neither of which found me anything, followed by another two with the same result until I got a nine. In my experience, agencies range in quality from useless to plain crooked.