1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply agencies in Gloucestershire

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by modgepodge, Aug 25, 2011.

1. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I'm moving to Gloucestershire at the beginning of September - due to only finding this out in June I have not sorted a job out yet. I am an NQT and I'm hoping to do some supply til I get full time work. I've just got a few questions....
    Can anyone suggest a good agency in this area? I've registered with one - Teaching Personell - last week but have yet to hear anything (not even a confirmation email?) from them. Should I register with more than one? Or am I better off just popping in to local schools with a CV?
    How much work am I likely to get? My partner's Mum is a supply teacher in Worcestershire and she was very doubtful I'd get much, due to budget cuts and things. Admittedly she only works for 4 schools but she got something like 4 days last term! I need far more than this! She said she works direct for the council - I can't find any info about this on the internet though? (Worcestershire would also be an option for me as it's not too far from Gloucester).
    Also....this forum seems to be fairly negative about supply work :( is it really that bad?
    One reason I liked the idea of supply was "trying out" schools before actually getting a permanant job there, esp as I'm new to the area. However now I've seen a few people mention agencies charging you fees if you end up working in a school permanantly if you did supply there first (even if you get the job by applying as normal, completely independent of the agency). How much is this fee likely to be?!
    Finally....can anyone suggest a good book I can read just to settle my nerves? There's a few on Amazon but I'm not sure which to go for. I'm not v good at coming up with 5 min "filler" activities on the spot, so would love to have a book of ideas to steal ideas from beforehand!
    Thanks in advance for any help :)

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I'm moving to Gloucestershire at the beginning of September - due to only finding this out in June I have not sorted a job out yet. I am an NQT and I'm hoping to do some supply til I get full time work. I've just got a few questions....
    Can anyone suggest a good agency in this area? I've registered with one - Teaching Personell - last week but have yet to hear anything (not even a confirmation email?) from them. Should I register with more than one? Or am I better off just popping in to local schools with a CV?
    How much work am I likely to get? My partner's Mum is a supply teacher in Worcestershire and she was very doubtful I'd get much, due to budget cuts and things. Admittedly she only works for 4 schools but she got something like 4 days last term! I need far more than this! She said she works direct for the council - I can't find any info about this on the internet though? (Worcestershire would also be an option for me as it's not too far from Gloucester).
    Also....this forum seems to be fairly negative about supply work :( is it really that bad?
    One reason I liked the idea of supply was "trying out" schools before actually getting a permanant job there, esp as I'm new to the area. However now I've seen a few people mention agencies charging you fees if you end up working in a school permanantly if you did supply there first (even if you get the job by applying as normal, completely independent of the agency). How much is this fee likely to be?!
    Finally....can anyone suggest a good book I can read just to settle my nerves? There's a few on Amazon but I'm not sure which to go for. I'm not v good at coming up with 5 min "filler" activities on the spot, so would love to have a book of ideas to steal ideas from beforehand!
    Thanks in advance for any help :)

3. The best agency to register with in glos for primary supply is Hays. Most of the schools book their supply though them. I have been offered lots through them last year . Before registering with them I was with teaching personnel too, but didnt get a lot - few days every term! Although you can register with Glos LA, you are unlikely to get any work as hardly any schools book directly through them as it is more expensive for them.
    Hope this helps!