1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply 2011/2012 ---> What to expect?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by yourenglishteacher, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don't think I can find a small enough piece of paper!
    Seriously though, with budget restraints, use of CS & HLTA I foresee the death knell of supply in my own area!

2. The Agency Worker's Agreement will change the landspace.

3. It is totally hypocritical and unacceptable of schools to employ unqualified people as "teachers". Morally wrong and illegal! How on earth are headteachers and other getting away it? Surely our children DO NOT deserve such gross prasctice?
    Light on the horizon ?: Some LEAs are now setting up lists and registers in response to the unscrupulous, unacceptable employment practices of the many agencies disrespecting and bullying fully qualified and GTCE registered teachers to accept CS rates! Unbelievable, fraudulent and criminal!

4. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

Which LEAs............ we need to know them and to lobby our own

5. Supreme Ed in London does ask teachers negotiate rates based on school budgets, i.e. Secondary 110 vs Primary to scale...

6. mereside

mereside New commenter

Basically supply will be dead within the next 12 months in my opinion - at least it will be for those of us who actually need to make a living from it. Anway worse than CS etc doing the covering is now on its way as Gove appears to want to send the squaddies being made redundant from the forces into the classroom so that discipline can be enforced! How long before the first one of them is up in court for hitting little Johnny?

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Depends on your income target for the year. 0.5fte is enough for me at present. but I'm an old git and don't have the same financial commitments as younger gits. It's not going to be easy for everyone.

I made a deliberate point of spending my first year of supply doing daily and short term to get my face known in a range of local schools. I actually turned down a couple of long term assignments to ensure wider exposure. To a certain extent it's worked, but my priorities are different to (say) someone wanting their first permanent post, or who wants to pass their induction year. Horses for courses.

8. Teaching South West of Devon County Coucil...very new but advertising for properly qualified and registered supply teachers! Stringent interview process.
    Not exactly sure of all the reasons as to why they have come about but???...seems to be hopefully a step in the right direction? Non-profiteering and seemingly we all benefit!

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well I'm mature too, with no mortgage & I'd love 0,5 but my record is somewhat more like 0.2 1 week in every four & even that is set to end next year when I expect it to be zero!