1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply £135 in England v £70 - 90 in Wales

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by opendoors, May 30, 2011.

1. I am an NQT currently on primary supply in Essex earning £135 per day. I have been planning to relocate to Wales but am really shocked to note that supply teacher will earn £70 - £90 only per day [saw this on internet].

2. I am an NQT currently on primary supply in Essex earning £135 per day. I have been planning to relocate to Wales but am really shocked to note that supply teacher will earn £70 - £90 only per day [saw this on internet].

3. Some of my friends in Bristol, who work for agencies providing supply in primary schools, earn £95 (inclu of 'holiday'). If you can work directly for a school daily rate is approx £110 (MPS rate) - not sure if this is different for secondary. Presume that this is a case of market forces, supply/demand and all that.

4. darkness

darkness New commenter

My advice is not going to be good but it will be honest. My advice is don't do it. The situation here is absolutely diabolical. That rate of pay you quoted for supply in Wales, is often the best case scenario. On average it can be around £80, sometimes less, and they now take money out for holiday pay. You can be left with very little for a days work, and the fact it is very infrequent means it is often barely livable. It has been driven down by the number of agencies, and supply pools closing down. Agencies often charging school lower than MPS1.