1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supplementing the income

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by stevka101, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Does anyone know of any good ways of supplementing your income available to international school teachers? I'm considering a few weeks of work during the summer if there are appropriate summer camps. I'm a secondary english teacher with esl experience. I teach iGCSE and IB dip, but don't think I quite have the experience yet to become an exam marker, but perhaps there are some possibilities. I'm also aware that people do some work online. Any advice or ideas very much appreciated.

2. Kezzlesnezzle1,
    I applied to become an IB examiner after having taught the IB for a year only and they accepted my application straight away. It's worth trying. The IB is expanding a lot at the moment, and they are struggling to find examiners for certain subjects (not sure about English). Give it a go, what is there to lose?

3. Thanks Kamol. I'll be finishing my first year this year so will definitely try that next year. Hoping to pick up a little something this year if there are alternatives.

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Check out Oxford Summer Courses, although I am not sure that they cover English.

5. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

I would also recommend marking exams externally; I've marked now with two different boards so far. It's good to do this not only for the extra income but also to improve your teaching practice by seeing what it's like from the inside. It gives you an idea of what exam boards you prefer, too, which can affect choices you make for your students in future (to put it mildly, working with a different exam board has made me glad my school is with the one we're with).

6. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

You might be right there hippo :p What a mug I am :p

7. Masfar

Masfar New commenter

Are there opportunities for private tutoring where you are?