1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supervision

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by LINGUIST2, Aug 30, 2020.

1. LINGUIST2

LINGUIST2 New commenter

SLT in my school are asking for staff to help them supervise during break and lunch. Most staff are willing to help although it means giving up a break or part of lunch. However we also now have to go outside as Covid policy means kids must be outside as much as possible which is quite intimidating for staff as it is not a pleasant place the way our kids behave and interact with each other. I am in Scotland in a secondary school. Any thoughts?

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Just say no. (And contact your Union if there is any come back).

jlishman2158 and mothorchid like this.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Why the behaviour? This needs looking at first!

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Do all staff feel this way? If so, then you all need to be clear that any offers of help are only for inside and only temporary...don't let lunch time duties become the norm.
    Then let SLT do the duties outside and deal with the behaviour.

jlishman2158 and strawbs like this.
  5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

This needs squashing now. If it is not, then what is now billed as 'helping out with the Covid emergency', will become permanent. Remember the maxim 'today's favour is tomorrow's expectation'.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

In England and under STPCD, you can be told to do break duty but not lunchtime supervision. Obviously this does not apply to you. If you don't want to do this, surely you need to look at what your conditions of service say. If you can't be told to do these duties, then you can refuse or set conditions, such as staying indoors.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

You can, however, be asked to help out. And are free to say yes, or to say no.

Smiler31, jlishman2158 and mothorchid like this.
  8. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Presumably money is being offered? That would be a consideration for some.
    Otherwise, they can whistle...

jlishman2158 likes this.
  9. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

Does your school not have a roster for break time duties? 1 or 2 duties per staff per week- is the norm for schools I know- fair for the staff. In respect to outside breaks when not supervising children, do you not have a private courtyard area? Ie. Staff car park?

10. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

The behaviour needs dealing with, first and foremost.

11. averagedan

averagedan Established commenter

I don't really see why being outside is relevant. Gloves, coats and umbrellas exist. I have been on break duties outside for decades and they have done the job!

If I were feeding back to my union - I may not mention the outside bit, it sounds rather silly if I'm honest.

12. caterpillartobutterfly

I think the OP mentioned the behaviour outside is so appalling staff don't feel comfortable being there.

averagedan likes this.
  13. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I got the feeling that it was more the behaviour than the outside-ness.
    I don't disagree with those warning of thin ends of wedges.
    This may be something where some representative staff reps discuss with SLT.
    There needs to be a clear end point, there needs to be a quid pro quo, recognition that prep time will be lost, and a way to ensure that staff don't spend all lunch time dealing with unruly kids only to meet them again in lessons.

averagedan likes this.
  14. averagedan

After re-reading it, it appears I have misinterpreted it. I'm too used to kids saying "I don't want to go outside".

15. JJ83

JJ83 Occasional commenter

NO mention of the weather at all - I believe the concern raised was regarding the behaviour of students outside
    Wrote this before seeing your other comment and cannot see how to delete it so APOLOGIES

averagedan likes this.
  16. caterpillartobutterfly

:D:D:D:D:D
    Sorry what a pair!!!

JJ83 and averagedan like this.
  17. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Yes-but behaviour issues might now be different. Many children have enjoyed learning at home and calmed down. I was just speaking to a woman whose daughter had been trouble/way behind on her GCSE predictions, but since school has been closed, her mum has been setting her work at home (mum is not a teacher, but like lots of parents, has been online and getting lots of lesson ideas from Bitesize etc, once she's finished doing her own work for the day). Her daughter is now really keen to learn and her behaviour is perfect (Mum says) and she is really reluctant to go back to school 'with the noisy *****'. She can't be the only one-despite having jobs and younger kids, most parents have really 'connected' wit their kids and schoolwork. Equally, some parents have done nothing but let their kids plat on screens.
    So we can't really predict what will happen. The proposed changed to schools eg no detentions might also have an impact on behaviour, along with the fact that some children will be scared and angry that they're being forced into schools, risking their parents' lives.

agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.
  18. caterpillartobutterfly

Where is this change please? It isn't in any of the guidance for reopening schools.

19. averagedan

Last I saw detentions and internal exclusions were to be discouraged as it may be hard to maintain bubbles. But no actual ban.

20. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I agree with other posters that the issue here is behaviour. I've no objection to spending some time supervising students (I'm a leader) and having a chance to talk to young people in a non class environment is great. My thoughts would be very different if there was appalling behaviour. SLT need to step outside and see their school for what it really is. Volunteers to help duties would be more forthcoming.