1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Supervision of staff

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Helssoph, Sep 4, 2018.

  1. Helssoph

    Helssoph New commenter

    I am currently employed as a SENCO/Teacher in a Children's Centre.
    I have QTS and I am currently paid on MPS6.
    I was asked today to take on Supervision of staff members. I was hoping somebody could tell me if I can request a TLR for taking on this extra responsibility?
    As I work in a Children's Centre, I have been told I am not entitled to an SEN allowance and there is no budget for me to move onto the UPS.
    Is there anyone else in a similar situation out there?!
    Please advise!
  2. Rott Weiler

    Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

    STPCD does not apply in Children's Centres so the LA is only using it as a refence point for setting the Children's Centre pay policy. The formal blurb in the front of STPCD says:

    This Document relates to teachers employed by a local authority or by the governing body of a foundation, voluntary aided or foundation special school (other than a school to which an order made under section 128(2) of the Act applies) in the provision of primary or secondary education (otherwise than in an establishment maintained by a local authority in the exercise of a social services function).
    In the same way you that they don't have to pay you an SEN Allowance they also don't have to pay you a TLR unless the LA's own pay policy covering a teacher in your role says it can be paid. But even if there is provision in the Children's Centre pay policy to pay a TLR it doesn't mean that supervision of staff automatically entitles you to a TLR. It wouldn't in itself guarantee you a TLR in a mainstream school.

    No harm in asking. Don't ask, won't get!
    Piranha likes this.
  3. Piranha

    Piranha Star commenter

    Just musing out loud (or in writing) as I don't claim to be an expert here, but would taking on supervision be the sort of thing that could be said to be permitted by the standard general "or any other reasonable duties..." clause in a contract, or would it count as a change of contract which the OP would have to agree to?

    For what it is worth, you might want to look at what extra work is involved. If it is not very much, you might agree to take this on as a way of negotiating later on or getting a better job. If so, you would have to be prepared to leave if you don't get your way.

    Yes, the standard answer to every "can I request...?" type of post. You can always ask. Or was the real question "am I entitled to..."?
  4. Helssoph

    Helssoph New commenter

    This is really helpful- thank you!
    It can feel very isolated sometimes, as the sole teacher in a setting with no other teachers to go to for advice on things like this.
    We currently have 20 children on our SEN register, most of which have severe and complex needs and I know if I was in a school I would be far better supported, both financially and professionally!
    Time to move perhaps...
    Piranha and Rott Weiler like this.

Share This Page