1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Superunion

Discussion in 'Education news' started by JL48, Mar 28, 2016.

1. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

About time as far as I'm concerned. (see here)

Can't believe that the NASUWT is still playing up. I guess their officers want to keep their cushy jobs.

The sooner there is only one strong unified voice, the better it will be!

petenewton, wanet, Anonymity and 3 others like this.
  2. WJClarkson

WJClarkson Occasional commenter

I completely agree. United as one we stand more chance of having our voices heard. It's also important that we strike when we are given the opportunity because if we're not ready to take action now, will we ever be?

wanet, Owen134866 and Landofla like this.
  3. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Brilliant idea-how do I sign up?!

Landofla likes this.
  4. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

I'm ready to sign up, strike and whatever else need be!

5. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Anonymity and JL48 like this.
  6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

What are we striking about?

7. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Very sad. United we stand!

I might get shot down for this, but I also think that they should take the word 'union' out of the name. The Royal College of Nursing and the British Medical Association are both effectively unions, but sound so much better than "Nation Union of Teachers", which makes us sound like we're led by Arthur Scargill in the 1980s. It's all about presentation.

wanet and NQT1986 like this.
  8. WJClarkson

Perhaps I worded that a little incorrectly. I should have said "if we are given the opportunity..." I hope that we strike about forced academisation, though the strike may never come to fruition.

9. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

If I was in the NASUWT I would be changing union pronto. Hopefully people are doing that as I type (speak).

NQT1986 likes this.
  10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If every NASUWT member who wanted a single union resigned and joined the NUT then perhaps that might force the NASUWT hand to combine

petenewton, wanet, JL48 and 3 others like this.
  11. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Striking
    The strike should be about forced academisation. This of course will also cover pay and working conditions without explicitly saying so and would avoid upsetting the public (not that that would matter in my book) who think we work 9am until 3pm with mega holidays to boot.

From what I can tell , It looks like the public are supportive of teachers on this issue.

12. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

None of the bright ones think that teachers work so few hours. I'm not saying they are all bright though.

13. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

A big problem regarding combining unions is getting the extreme wings of unions such as the NUT and AMMA to agree on anything much at all.

wanet likes this.
  14. WJClarkson

That is an example of the power we have. We may not have a lot of power to change the government's decision, but if we use the power we do have effectively then we can achieve good results. In this instance, by everyone joining the NUT, other unions would be forced to merge / close leaving us with one Union and ultimately, one powerful voice.

vinnie24 likes this.
  15. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I fear that it may be a case of rats in a bag - the membership too, if they were asked to stand up for themselves and take any action at all.

16. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

But who will provide the backbone, given the historical viscerally-frit nature of English state school classroom teachers (with a few honourable exceptions.)

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  17. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

"Super-union" Sounds great.

"NUT + ATL" .............................. Errrrrrrrrrrrr.....

18. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

I joined the ATL specifically because it wasn't the NUT.

19. wanet

wanet Star commenter

It has been tried before. Same problem then. I would also have a new name that removes the word union.

20. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

The new union would also not be the NUT.

Rather important if we are to be taken seriously. Sad maybe, but true.

I think that the NAS might be a good new name. National Association of Schoolteachers. Might convince the NASUWT to join too.