1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supermarket Home deliveries

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivartheboneless, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

In view of this "self-isolation" stuff, is the demand on home deliveries going to increase? I have never used one because I find it hard to hit their minimum payment amount, but I wonder if anyone has thought about the implications on the system. Shopping must be one of the major points of interaction between people, yet we have had nothing on what to do at the till. Should we all do swipe card transactions? How are you supposed to know that something you put in your trolley has not been coughed all over by someone with Covid-19?

Jamvic likes this.
  2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

About a week ago I heard that many supermarkets delivery slots were already booked up about 5 days in advance, so it has happened.

Jamvic likes this.
  3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I occasionally have home delivery. Normally it is quite easy to book a delivery slot the next day. When I looked a couple of days ago there were no slots this week.

needabreak and Jamvic like this.
  4. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I placed an online order yesterday morning but there were no delivery slots for today (or yesterday) so my order is being delivered tomorrow evening. It will be interesting to see how many of my chosen items are not available.

Jamvic likes this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Surely it would make sense to extend home deliveries and reduce the minimum payment so that interactions between people can be reduced.

Jamvic likes this.
  6. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I saw one driver yesterday with stacks of crates delivering to a customer. They just stood at the door and watched him struggle with it up the garden path. I do think if people order a delivery they should help to bring it in from the van if they are able to.

7. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I think they are struggling to cope with deliveries already. They can't just create more drivers and more delivery vans.

Piscean1, needabreak and Jamvic like this.
  8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Wash hands with something that gives protection for a couple of hours prior to setting off, only handle the things you're buying, pay by contactless, then wash hands after you've stored the goods at home. To my mind one item they should do away with is the dividers you put on the conveyor belt. Also, self checkout might involve less queueing but there's more touching and swiping of a greasy screen.

Earlier today in Aldi I saw one of the checkout staff wearing gloves - that made a lot of sense for protecting herself. Trouble was she was the only one.

Jamvic likes this.
  9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I like close to a 24 hour Tesco.

I haven't started self-isolating, but 3am shopping visits might be the norm if I do.

bonxie, needabreak, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  10. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Not if you're the boss of the home delivery company... if demand for their service is increasing, the logical thing is to raise the minimum payment and "cash in". Alternatively, larger minimum payments will result in larger, but fewer deliveries for their drivers, reducing the risk of the drivers being unavailable to work.
    You're just thinking of the big picture and the best thing to do for the majority, rather than considering those poor multinational's bank balances...

Jamvic likes this.
  11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Has that happened already?

12. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

No idea. Just pointing out that if demand is going to increase and supply is fixed (post #7), prices are more likely to increase than decrease.

Jamvic likes this.
  13. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

This is why I don’t like delivery shopping services.

BertieBassett2 and chelsea2 like this.
  14. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

This is exactly what my OH has suggested for us.

nomad likes this.
  15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I have only been to a supermarket after midnight on one occasion. We'd just returned from holiday and needed a few bits and pieces to start us off the next morning.

It was pretty desperate in there. Thankfully no sodding kids, but the customers all seemed to be scared of each other and looked as though they don't like being seen in daylight. One till open and you couldn't get near the shelves for the shelf stacker's trolleys.

16. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I don't know about elsewhere, but some supermarkets in Scotland are putting restrictions on how much of certain items people can buy.

Jamvic likes this.
  17. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

We do it most years at Christmas to avoid queues going to the back of the store.

18. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

But will this work, determined will go around several, could even have a consequence of making them buy more by this route.

19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

There'd be little point in restricting the number of toilet rolls you can buy round this way. The shelves for it have been bare for ten days now. I might have to visit this amusement arcade in Bridlington if they don't stock up soon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-en...ade-owner-fills-grabber-machine-with-loo-roll

border_walker and coffeekid like this.
  20. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter