1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supermarket Food deliveries

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Ivartheboneless, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

This might have been done (to death) before. I thought I would try Iceland as there is one in town (three miles away) and they have not long opened one of their "Food Whorehouse" stores too. If you wanted to stock up with a big freezer it would be a good place, and I have discovered the best frozen take-away sytle curry ever from there. (Not telling, you might nick 'em all!) Iceland do free next day delivery over 35 quid spend. I got to just over the 35 quid and booked my slot for today, everything fine. I then went on Morrisons and entered all the same stuff (there were some decent offers) and that came to over 40 quid, near as dammit like for like. Morrisons own brand bread is cheaper, and they had full price on things like Cadbury's Mini Rolls (which I could probably eat five of at once!), but saving 5 quid is good I thought, and I think you have to spend more to get delivery from Morrisons, and their slots are always booked, and they charge. Iceland is far from perfect, as there are many things they lack that I want, and the fresh veg choice is poor. My daughter uses Morrisons (I think she has tried them all pretty much) but she has many mouths to feed, whereas there is just me and the cat, and I get his food from Aldi (except his wafer thin ham treats and cheese treats). In this current bout of Covid (I got through the first lot unscathed) a few less trips to mingle with the great unmasked is probably worth it. I looked at Waitrose for a laugh, but their minimum for delivery is too high for me, and their prices!

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Given that this is the cookery forum, I'm not sure you have too much to worry about there...

nizebaby likes this.
  3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I also make the best curry ever anyway, but not in "for one" portions. Not all cooks cook all the time (or are we back to the "snobbery" again?)

4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

?

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Nothing snobby about the fact that most of us prefer cooking from scratch and are pretty capable of making a curry from scratch.

nizebaby likes this.
  6. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Many of us have cba nights even if we do enjoy cooking. Nothing wrong with the odd cheat.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

#2 It was only a wry comment with slightly humorous intent!

8. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

The freezer is your friend.