1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supermarket deliveries

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivartheboneless, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I'm guessing a lot of you busy teachery types use these, and I know they are available from many supermarkets. As I have a Morrinsons More card, and usually shop at a Morrinsons which is about five miles away for preference reasons, I thought I might have a look at their delivery as they sent me a voucher for 12 quid off if I spend 60 quid and get it delivered before Sunday 6th Jan.
    What a palaver! Firstly there are things missing off the online, and stuff online that I have never seen in the shops. Then, unless you want to order about a year in advance or have them come before 7 in the morning or after 10 at night, the delivery charge is more than it would cost me in petrol (I'm not decrepit yet). Then they don't tell you things are out of stock until you have gone to the "checkout", booked your weird timeslot, then found that the out of stock item pushes the cost below the threshold for the voucher. I thought this was supposed to save time? Pain in the nads it is!

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I did it once and that was my experience too. Much more faff than going to the actual shop, it was hard to navigate, you can't see or touch anything, you don't get any reduced items and you don't get some of the things you've ordered. I've never bothered again. I don't like other people packing my shopping either.

chelsea2 likes this.
  3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Vote with your feet next time then, keep our high streets open and people in jobs. Lesson learned?

4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Bit snappy of you. I didn't go through with the order, so there wasn't even a first time. Some poor sod has to do these deliveries, I don't see why they should be avaialble from six in the morning until 11 at night.

5. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I shop online with Sainsbury's occasionally, as I don't have a branch nearby. I've never had any problems although I would say that perishable foods are often close to their use-by date. I usually go to Tesco's, where I can root out the items with the most favourable dates.

6. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I have used Morrisons for a year + now and am quite happy. I agree re reduced items but elder girl goes looking at asda/Aldi for those. I have paid the annual fee which means I can book a delivery time ay any time suiting me. I usually book when MrREMfan is at home and can help get the order in and then unpacked. We have been ok re the use/sell by dates in things so that works.

I did have a little hiccough with the in-store food order I booked this year. I had a mega delivery of staples on 23rd Dec but had to go to the store to collect the Xmas Day/Boxing Day food inc a turkey crown. I had a collection time booked at 12. On arrival younger child went to collection desk now situated at the furthest end of the store away from the entrance. She told me they hadn't as yet got my order and that things at the collection desk seemed far from smooth running! I decided to go round the store collecting the things I still needed. (or younger girl had insisted on!) As I got to the checkout....by the collection point I was asking had they located my order yet (twas near 1pm by now) Nope. Hence me not pleased and.... I was getting a flavour of events from a very irate bloke ranting that they had ruined his Christmas dinner ! Oops. Younger child told me to go and sit down and she would wait etc. I then got a bit tetchy and asked one of the store personnel if they could bring the manage aka man in the suit..... you all know the ones.... they wander the aisles with the odd clipboard in view whilst staff lug trolleys of food to be stacked about and who then re fill the shelves whilst the suits just nod and talk (and who are nearly always exclusively male!)

Anyway I did eventually see the manager who was pleasant and apologetic but I did calmly explain to him that the 2 women on the collection point were getting huge amounts of grief for things which probably were not their fault ! He acknowledged that and did say he had been with them up until a short while before.... At that point younger child arrives with a bag of ordered shopping... as luck had it I glanced in it...moved the odd item and to my complete disbelief .... no turkey crown!! At this the manager and an assistant asked me to hang on and went off..... he returned after 5 mins or so with turkey crown, bottle of sparkling wine, lovely bunch of flowers and a huge box of chocolates!!! One more mollified customer and off I went a placated customer. He did do quite well there.....I am a little nervous though about the NY order..... and hope there is no repeat!

needabreak likes this.
  7. needabreak

Still you've learned something on this occasion haven't you?

As for the poor sods, haven't you ever done a long shift for low pay? You are very lucky if you haven't... For most needs must.

8. Bungie

Bungie Occasional commenter

9. Bungie

Bungie Occasional commenter

I've used Morrisons online many times and found them excellent. The order is always correct, the fresh stuff is good quality, and the delivery staff are helpful and cheerful.

10. needabreak

Glad there was a happy ending.

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I had Tesco deliver our weekly shop for a while after I took early retirement. It was a twenty mile round trip to our nearest supermarket and I thought the three quid they charged to deliver was fair. The delivery cost varies throughout the day and is cheapest when most people have to be at work.

Once you get used to ordering online, it doesn't take that long; and in my case, was far quicker than driving to the shop, fighting my way around it and trying to find where my sweetheart had sodded off to.

Virtues of ordering online, apart from the convenience, is that you know exactly how much your shopping will cost, you don't get tempted to make impulse purchases and provided you don't leave it too late, you can amend your order, so you're less likely to go without something you forgot when you made the list.

The downside is not seeing what you're buying and being able to threaten kids who come frying out of aisles on their heelies or give withering looks to the gormless zombies who block aisles whilst staring mindlessly at their phones.

12. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I use Tesco online weekly. It is convenient and saves me valuable time at the weekend. I have just booked a delivery for tomorrow evening. We are away, home tomorrow afternoon and have guests coming for dinner on the following day. This way I can spend time cooking rather than having to fit in a trip to the supermarket.

The number of substitutions has been decreasing over the last few years. We rarely have any problems now.

13. htaylor16

htaylor16 New commenter

I use Waitrose, delivery is free and I rarely have substitutions and if I do get them I get them at the lower prices or free.

14. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I used Sainsbury's a few times, then after a break of about a year tried to use them again. I'd forgotten my password so tried to use the link to set a new password. It said my email address hadn't been recognised. I then tried to set up a new account. It wouldn't let me as the email address had already been used! I gave up.

15. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Since then I have used Ocado a few times and always found them excellent.

16. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Helen I was really confused for a while as to why you would need so many staples then I realised you didn’t mean actual staples :)

17. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I used Asda when I was off work sick and housebound. They were great. I have used them since for the occasional big shop. Yes, you don't necessarily get exactly what you want, but there is a pay off in time and money. It is certainly much quicker and cheaper than going to Asda on the bus and getting a taxi home.

Also, far better for the environment to have one delivery van going to many homes, rather than many individuals making separate journeys to the supermarket.

18. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I use them sometimes, from whoever has sent me the best 'we've not seen you for a while' voucher.
    All are fine these days, Waitrose and Morrisons have the best customer service, Asda the best value food.

Never had any real problems.

19. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Same here!

1 person likes this.
  20. needabreak

Is it more or less environmentally friendly than us all going individually?