1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

superheroes weapon play

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by NellyFUF, Feb 11, 2011.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

How much does the current obsession of small boys with (violent) macho activities owe to the rise of the x box and computer games/media availability of unsuitable types/
    If the answer is - a lot - then is our planning and curriculum dictated by media rather than children's needs.
    Answers on a post card please.
    This comes from a moment this week when I told the girls they did not have to be princesses and they all went and dressed up as police persons and other characters. Immediately. With relief. So I was contemplating the kind of rough play, stereotypical and limited imagination play which is the norm now....

2. I don't think you can say that the xbox or videogames are to blame.
    First of all those specific types of games are not aimed at children so they should not be exposed to them in the first place and is just plain bad parenting if they are!
    Second of all most children I know that play videogames are very aware that they are playing a game and that it is not real.
    Finally not all video games are violent and I have kids in my class that love Mario etc...
    I don't think you can blame video games. Did you not read a book or watch a television programme when you were young and want to be that character? Its the same with video games not different.
    Sorry for the rant, it just annoys me when video games get blamed for everything! I played loads of videogames when I grew up and I have always known the difference.

3. Elsie Teacher

Elsie Teacher New commenter

Try to get on a course called 'Superhero and weapon play.'

4. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

What about Barbie?
    If children want to play with Barbie and Ken, do we provide for this? My Little Pony is a blast from the past - did we think this was a good curriculum idea?
    Are our heroes and role models the result of advertising and consumer society?