1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Superhero writing

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by littlest hobo, Feb 11, 2011.

1. littlest hobo

littlest hobo New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I thought that I would post my question on this forum as in the past everyone has been so helpful. Next week we are planning for the children's interests and they have chosen superheroes as a topic.
    Today I was told that I have a HT observation next week and the focus is on writing so I was wondering if anyone had any wow ideas for a lesson please?
    Really struggling!
    Thanks
    xxx

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

Oh er
    Spiderman's shopping list.
    How to be a superhero writing frame.
    How to catch a baddie. There is a video for this somewhere around the net. Rather good. Involves clipboards and dens.

3. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

Hi
    We've just finished a 3 week topic on superheroes, and my main writing foci was on comic strips. We looked at comics, evaluated them compared to books and magazines, focused on the style (captions, speech/thought/action bubbles), looked at the characters (powers, costumes, design) and then planned our own superheroes. We initially used the who, what, where, why, when recount idea to get an idea of character descriptions, and then drew a picture. The next day we moved on to describing our superhero, by using word mats etc to introduce basic adjectives (colours of costume, powers) and the reason they became a superhero. This was all linked into our school ethos of Human Values (Love, peace, truth, right conduct and non-violence), so everyone's superhero had to be displaying a particular value.
    At the end, we then designed our own comic strip, thinking of a situation for the superhero, and breaking the mini story down into 3 sequential pictures. The children were expected to include at least one caption (where able) and some speech, thought or action bubbles.
    The activity worked really well, and the kids didn't realise how much high-level thinking and writing they were actually doing. We showed our comic strips in assembly this week - even the Yr 3/4 teacher commented that some of her kids couldn't work at such a high level.
    Hope this gives an idea of where you could go.
    p.s. I used some the comic strip/superhero themed ideas from the TES resource bank, even though designed for KS3/4 - just differentiated it right down to the right level xx

4. Ooh yes! Following on from Nelly- think i've seen a clip? Clipboards outside and drawing and labelling how to construct a trap for a 'baddie' and making it too of course! Sheets, washing line pegs, masking tape rope netting boxes etc. Have fun!

You can get sppech bubble post its- might be good for group to use to write in and stick on pictures of superheros- could cut and laminate from magazines or project onto smart board?

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

6. littlest hobo

Thanks for all of the responses!
    I think Im going to plan a lesson where the children are invited by Ben 10 to a party on Friday but only superheroes can attend. Launch a discussion about how we can become superheroes? What do we need? Make a list on the board and gather resources - this will lead to lots of child initiated learning throughout the session. Support with masks/badges/capes (emphasising the need to label and name them) if needed.
    Now, this is where I'm unsure - I will then either explain that before we become superheroes, we need to think of our own superhero names and design our costumes and model this on the board or model how to write out a reply to Ben 10 with our real name, superhero name, super power and favourite colour.
    Either of which will then become my focussed activity and my TA will do the other. Which one would you do?
    I will also have two teaching students to support C I play.
    Id really appreciate your advice.
    Thanks
    xx

7. littlest hobo

just giving this a bump.. Id really appreciate others views?
    xx

8. hi - probably too late but we had a superhero day and some of the activiies were - make your own cape - we had sail - type material from scrap store which can be written on with felt pens so children could design own logo and write name on cape - also design own large belt buckle to attach to silver insulating roll belt. they also had pictures of themselves with cape, belt etc surrounded by explosion outlines - they write their super powers in these