1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Super Starters

Discussion in 'English' started by MrsEvansJones, Feb 23, 2011.

1. MrsEvansJones

MrsEvansJones New commenter

For all those teachers out there who come to TES in desperation because they just can't find the perfect starter for their lesson...this is your place to share. Anything from "I've done this" to "I've seen this done" to "I need to do..." If you can't find anything on the thread that is suitable, let us know and we'll have a ponder on your behalf. Two brains, as they say, are better than one!!!

Check back regularly for new and updated Super Starters!!!

2. MrsEvansJones

Let's start simple...the easiest starter I've used (often) is either photos or music, as they are very easily adapted to whatever you are teaching. Pictures could be anything from landscapes (Westminster Bridge or the Lakes when studying Wordsworth) to objects (a grecian urn when studying Keats) Literally anything vaguely linked to your lesson goes, and this works particularly well for pupils who learn visually and those who learn by writing, as response to a stimulus can cover both styles of learning.

Music seems to work with anyone - my best example being when I was doing Celebration Poetry and did a starter asking what the song is celebrating...we had Frank Sinatra, 50 Cent and Taylor Swift in the same lesson!!

Anything different or unusual really engages the kids, and means they're less likely to forget it!!!

3. I have made a PowerPoint called the Starter Generator - 120 starters all in one place and easy to use in Key Stages 1-5. You can find it on TES resources by typing in the name.

4. MrsEvansJones

To explore the formation of narratives and the change of stories over time (particularly useful for Myths/Legends & Ballads/Oral tradition units) I have used both Chinese Whispers and Consequences as starters, which Year 7s have loved.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Realise this is an old thread but as this may be 'lost after the revamp' and no longer available on my hotlist
    to Mrs EvansJones and mikegershon a big THANK YOU for this work!

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Doesn't this belong on Marketplace?

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Why? Nobody is selling anything - ideas have been given freely as far as I can see either here in the forum or uploaded into the Resources section.