1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Super heroes

Discussion in 'Primary' started by biddyanne69, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Hi
    Am looking for some help. I am doing the topic superheroes next half term and had thought about doing fairy tales and poetry for my Literacy. The poetry is ok as i can write jingles about their supoerhero but am struggling with the fairy tales part. if anyone has any ideas could you please share?
    I really want to be creative and i know of lots of lovely ideas to do but am too scared to come away from the literacy units incase i get told off!! so trying to be creative with what ive got.
    in other areas i am doing
    sciene - pushes and pulls - looking at their transport
    dt - designing a suit and power milk shake
    history - heroes in the world (famour people)
    ICT - making clips about their super hero on Apple macs and work with beebots or whatever super hero name they want to give them.
    if anyone can give me some advise it would be much appreciated. really struggling with literacy planning this year!

2. You don't say what year group you are... How about choosing a fairy tale and thinking about how it would be changed with the intervention of a super-hero? Then do drama/puppet shows/hot seating about it all.

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

Marvel comics do Spiderman Fairy Tales!! The review says they are for ages 9 and up, but you could get one and see if they are suitable. Then you could compare the origional to the spiderman one!!!
    http://marvel.com/catalog/?id=7199 reviews are here
    http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&products_id=40485 you can buy it here, it has Cinderella and Little Red Riding Hood £5.87
    http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/3459116/Spider-Man-Fairy-Tales/Product.html?&_$ja=tsid:11518%7Ccc:%7Cprd:3459116%7Ccat:Books+%3E+Sci-Fi+%26+Fantasy you can also buy it here

4. Hiya
    The reading project has excellent planning on a book called Traction Man aimed at year 2 or KS1 really. I have the planning if you would like me to email it too you. The children love it, based on an action man toy!

5. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I did super heroes topic earlier this year, we had a fab time! We read the story "Elliot Jones, Midnight superhero" as a focus book, and rewrote our own superhero tales, then we designed and made our own superheroes, then we tested materials in science to find out which materials would be best for our superheroes costume. We also watched lots of superhero tv shows, we went on a superhero creator online for ICT, then we looked at real life superheroes for History.
    It was fab, the kids adored it, the stories were just fantastic. Have fun and be creative!

6. these look fab hope they are as goodas they sound.will order them and letyou know!how did you ever come across them?

7. comenius

comenius New commenter

google!!!
    I'd be really interested in what they are like - please can you let me know if they'd be suitable for year 1 - I'd like to use them next year with my class
    thanks

8. thankl you chellykelly that would be fab. Had a look at that book online before and it looks good and any help with planning would be great.
    email address is biddyanne69@hotmail.com
    thank you everyone for your replies much appreciated.

9. I will do.im year 1 too so hopingthey will do the trick would be perfect if they do!

10. I'm doing superheros too after half term! Chelle Kelly can I be a pain and I have a peak at the planning for Traction Man - I just ordered that book from Amazon yesterday!
    Do you have to tie it in with fairytales? I'm doing it with fantasy stories and it's been so easy to plan everything in!

11. CB123

CB123 New commenter

I have just done last half term on superheroes and continuing it next half term. We have done lots of descriptive writing on different superheroes. We did newspaper report writing - a report of a superhero saving someone. In DT the children have designed and made (using sewing) a superhero logo, in music they have begun to make a theme tune for their superhero.
    Next half term they are going to write a comic strip, then transfer it into a story and then transfer it to a play script. In DT they are making a wooden frame ( as a stage) and finger puppets and in art designing backgrounds (for the frame) . They are then going to act out their play usin the finger puppets and backgrounds and film this. We are then going to put the film into movie maker and they are going to add the theme tune from last half term. Hopefully to produce a short film!
    Along side this they will also be looking at their local environment and comparing it to a different location (city centre verses countryside) We have a class superhero who has travelled to these various places and is asking questions which the childrne need to find answers too

The children love the superheroes link and it is really motivating them to learn

12. Hi would it be possible to get a copy of the planning for Tracion Man too please? Am a hlta with some ppa time so this would be fun for book week coming to us soon! Thanks Annie

13. Hi Chelle Kelly,
    Can I be cheeky and take a peek to? Sounds really good and exactly what I need for next half term! I am relating it to fairy tales at the moment and the good versus bad aspect. My e-mail is melanie.rickard@live.uwe.ac.uk
    Mel

14. Hi Chelle,
    I have been doing Superheroes this half term, we are having a visit from Ofsted this next week and it would be extremely helpful if you could email this planning to me as Traction Man is the book we are looking at. I am looking for inspiration!
    Many thanks,
    Parsley1956

15. Hi Chelle,
    I wondered whether you would be able to e-mail a copy of the Traction Man plan too please. My e-mail is sarwatts@hotmail.co.uk
    Thanks

16. rosieandjim

rosieandjim New commenter

Sorry to be cheeky and join in with this but l am doing Fairy Tales after half term and
    would so grateful for a different approach as my class have done something similar in year 1 and l would like to take a differetn approach. Thank you so much. Would be really grateful for planning ideas.
    m.e.collins1@btinternet.com

17. kujayhawk

kujayhawk New commenter

Hi,

do you still have the planning for this? I have had a look online and can't find it. I would love a copy please?
    Thanks,
    lesley.armstrong@winxcode.com

18. i recently bought the superhero ABC from amazon on recomendation from a friend. its really good. aside from learning thr alphabet its full of characters and alliteration.
    can you head down the route of "what if red riding hood was a superhero"?