1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Super duper new up to the minute smartboard being fitted over the holidays!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Apr 3, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Soooo, not having had a smartboard, or indeed an interactive board of any kind, for about 6 years what have I missed out on that will be amazing?

I probably won't have smartnotebook for the first week back, not sure what else is needed to make my laptop actually connect and work with the board, but I want to be ready for all the interactivity that will be possible.

Soooo what is great and good and simple for me and my year 2s (who have never ever had an interactive board in their school career so far!) to use?

Thank you.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ooooo yes forgot about those today. Been using them lots, but have had to operate them myself so to speak from the laptop. Children will be able to come and work them themselves. Similarly phonicsplay games!

YEAYY!!!! Interactive lessons will be mine!

4. I never thought I'd say this when I inherited it, but I love my IWB!
    My year ones love 'BBC Bitesize', 'Letters and Sounds.com' and Espresso. I use the latter for topic introductions and the class love the interactive tasks. My year 2 colleagues also use these.
    Good luck with it Minnieminx. (I've really enjoyed your posts about your transition from KS2 to year 2)

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Thank you...

Off to look at letters and sounds.com

Does anyone leave things on the IWB for children to work on as independent tasks?

6. I never thought I'd say this when I inherited it, but I love my IWB.
    My year ones love BBC Bitesize, Letters and Sounds.com and Espresso. I use the latter for inputs especially for topics. My class really enjoy the interactive tasks.
    Good luck with it Minnieminx.
    (I really enjoy reading your posts about your transition from KS2 to year 2 btw!)

7. I lost it, I rewrote it, I found it again!!!

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOLOLOLOL

9. Grolta

Grolta New commenter

We have self registration (mornings) on the IWB - children love it! For me, it's the interactive dice, I will find any excuse to use them!!
    Enjoy your new board and don't forget ALIGNMENT - nothing more embarrassing than visitors arriving when you appear to have no control over your handwriting!! [​IMG]

10. I love love my whiteboard

The joy of jumping into a picture to stimulate drama and writing- just put an image on and use the screen spotlight to reveal gradually

Taking photos of their work half way through a session and then using them on the IWB to review, assess etc

Using it to make a story map with pictures and sounds to retell the story

Being able to put up EAL translations alongside the English and see their faces light up when it makes more sense

Using it each morning for start the day activities which make them argue, or think, or giggle. They love watching some of those amazing powerpoint photos we all get sent

Watching newsround and discussing

Using film clips to make things come alive

Do I need to say more? download smart notebook and get playing.. there's loads of fun to be had!

11. I'm somewhat upset by the lack of posters who think the reflected light from an IWB is worse for their children than the reflected light that they use to see literally everything else =(
    Too sensible and no fun at all :p

12. Most useful button on the remote for me is the "freeze" button so children can keep watching what is on the screen (eg. instructions or handwriting to copy) and I can keep using the computer to get next activity ready. Doesn't work for viewing websites or video on my screen though. I also use it if I am finding something online, so that if anything inappopriate "pops" up (like the first comment underneath a youtube video having swear words) I can avoid it.
    Agree about alignment - perhaps this can be a class monitor job and a child can do it for you each morning. As well as shutting it down or putting it to sleep while you are out of classroom. They do throw off a lot of heat. Important down here in Australia in the summer with no aircon.
    Love, self registration,dice, maths equipment like protrator, ruler, compass, 100 splat square, number lines, grid paper etc.
    Also use count down clocks for timing children - time until lunch, for quiet reading, maths grids or change over time.
    Some early hints I got when I first started using them. Save all the files you want for the day to the desk top and then they are easy to find and access. Ditto with shortcuts to your favourite websites or have them hyperlinked in one file for maths, english etc.
    Sometimes I manipulare the board from my desk, which I have facing the board half way up the room, and the kids do all the other work down the front on the board...I am just at computer for back up in case it is needed whcih gives the kids the "spotlight".
    Use the blind tool to hide instruction/ answers you don't want them to see yet,instead of fiddly dissapering boxes etc.
    For small children using their fingers is easier than the pen sometimes and choosing a really thick "writing line" in crazy rainbow colours when they are coming up to try a spelling word seems to be a hit. The thin black or blue writing looks really "scraggly".
    You might like to institute some kind of system for accessing the board. Like having a student "waiting in the wings" at the side of room or in front row in special spot when they are coming up to the board, nothing more frustrating than waiting while they pick their way through the throng on the carpet.
    I also give bonus point to any child who catches me not putting the pen/stylus back where it belongs.
    To erase lots of writing, draw a big circle around it with the eraser and tap in the middle, it all dissapears.
    Don't forget to turn it off if you are looking at sensitive material like letters to parents, student records, your email if you laptop shows to the screen by default. In one classroom I work in there is no computer screen - only the IWB, so everything is always "on display" which makes using the computer while anyone else is in the room problematic.
    Have fun.

13. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

make sure they leave you some none interactive capability (an alternative board or stand alone white board) for when it breaks down or the bulb blows etc.
    And PLEASE make sure that anybody else covering your class can log on. I teach on supply for nearly half of the week, some teachers take their lap top, leaving me with no access to the IWB and no alternative board to use. Other schools refuse to set up a "supply" computer account for a variety of ridiculous reasons.

14. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

I have never heard of the freeze button but it sounds a mighty fine idea. Where can that be located, and where is the spotlight? I know that I had it at one point but now can't find that. Thanks.

15. Freeze button is on remote.
    Spotlight button is on smartboard tools so make sure you have them activated.
    Also worth changing the default orientation setting in your set up to do a 20 point orientation as it is so much more accurate.

16. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I can see me spending hours making these things...correct word endings for phonics, pluralising, alternative spellings, all sorts. Maths tables/division would be cool as well.

Thank you;!

17. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

I never got on ith the IWB I had once. It always need alignment and my handwriting was awful on it and always 4 cm away from where I was supposed to be writing.
    I have a projector linked to the computer and I use it far more than I ever used the IWB.

18. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

I hate making mistakes!

19. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But with the IWB you can just blame the computer...with a normal pen and whiteboard there is nowhere to hie!

I have had a projector linked to the computer and use it loads and loads, but can't wait to have the interactive element...

20. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Thank you for this thread, because I had no idea about those TES whiteboard files and some of the Maths stuff is quite useful!!!