1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

super-dooper mega organised!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Arabian_A, Jul 8, 2012.

1. I wanna be super dooper mega organised and dedicate the rest of my summer to prepare for my PGCE in Sept, and eat and breathe pgce-prep!!!!

...Just kidding, just wanted the attention to get as much replies as possible [​IMG]

OKAY...On a serious note now, I am thrilled to have secured a place on the early years PGCE after being unsuccessful in my GTP applications (well I got to the reserve list) and also the School Direct Scheme. It came to the point where I convinced myself taking a year out to work as a TA is better for me, but didn't realised how difficult it was to find a job, and deep down was absolutely gutted, so I'm a lot happier now than I would have been if I got accepted straight away.

....Anyway, just wanted some last minute (almost) advice on preparing for the PGCE really. I feel I'm behind compared to those who knew they had a place earlier on, and I haven't received a reading list or anything.

At the moment I'm reading forums on here (which are great), I plan to start revising for my skills test, get my folders, stationary, etc ready, continue with my voluntary work in a local school where I have observed some great teachers, continue work as a supply TA with an agency, and make the most of my sleep, family and friends whilst I've got the chance! [​IMG]

Have I missed anything out that anyone recommends I do?
    Sorry for the long message, well done and thank you if you read this far down [​IMG] and I look forward to any advice you may have. Thank you in advance.

2. I wanna be super dooper mega organised and dedicate the rest of my summer to prepare for my PGCE in Sept, and eat and breathe pgce-prep!!!!

...Just kidding, just wanted the attention to get as much replies as possible [​IMG]

OKAY...On a serious note now, I am thrilled to have secured a place on the early years PGCE after being unsuccessful in my GTP applications (well I got to the reserve list) and also the School Direct Scheme. It came to the point where I convinced myself taking a year out to work as a TA is better for me, but didn't realised how difficult it was to find a job, and deep down was absolutely gutted, so I'm a lot happier now than I would have been if I got accepted straight away.

....Anyway, just wanted some last minute (almost) advice on preparing for the PGCE really. I feel I'm behind compared to those who knew they had a place earlier on, and I haven't received a reading list or anything.

At the moment I'm reading forums on here (which are great), I plan to start revising for my skills test, get my folders, stationary, etc ready, continue with my voluntary work in a local school where I have observed some great teachers, continue work as a supply TA with an agency, and make the most of my sleep, family and friends whilst I've got the chance! [​IMG]

Have I missed anything out that anyone recommends I do?
    Sorry for the long message, well done and thank you if you read this far down [​IMG] and I look forward to any advice you may have. Thank you in advance.

3. Rest as much as possible and have as much fun as you can. Also pre-warn your family and friends about the fact you will be VERY busy next year and might not always have the time that you'd like to give them. Once you've done that - rest and have fun again. The PGCE will drain you so make sure you start it feeling fully refreshed.

Good luck!

4. Thanks for your reply, Kymmi!
    Yes, I've warned my family and friends, who are all supportive and understanding at the moment, but I don't thing anyone outside the teaching sector would ever really understand how much work there is!

5. Hi Arabian, I'm also starting my PGCE in Sept, and I've just bought loads of pens and papers and folders and the like!
    Really excited and nervous at the same time!

6. AudyR

AudyR New commenter

I've just finished my PGCE and the "super dooper mega organised" is just what you need to be.
    Ensure that you read all info from uni, so you know what and when things need to be handed it. Start collecting evidence from day 1, write up conversations, save emails etc, it is better to have more evidence than less. Be proactive, if you don't know something ask, get involved as much as possible with extra-curricular activities; they provide good evidence. Depending on your subject get technicians or any support staff involved in a few lessons.
    Have a good rest over the summer and all the best.

7. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

The one thing that I'd say to you is don't rush out buying lots of books, ring binders etc. Wait until you start and see what you actually need. I bought all the key texts, I hardly used them. There's a library, it's much cheaper! Often there are e-books as well. I bought enough folders to have one for each subject plus each of my placements and to be honest, I didn't really need them. Your English, Maths and Professional Studies modules will probably need folders, possibly Science, otherwise you'll likely be able to have just one folder for the others combined as you won't get so much from them and you don't really have many foundation subject lectures. I've just sorted through all of my paperwork and I've actually combined all of it into one arch lever folder, though I threw a lot of now useless bits away.

So my advice for the summer? Enjoy yourself, make the most of seeing your friends and family, make sure you start in September refreshed, energised and relaxed. I'd say keep up with things that are going on too, to do with Ofsted, curriculum changes etc. but that really doesn't take much. Use the summer to read through any info that the uni has given you but most of all, like I said, just enjoy yourself.

8. Thank you for all your replies, it is much appreciated!
    All very useful, and will take it into account.

Quite a few people have said use the summer to rest, and I'm an early bed usually in bed by 11pm the latest, so if I stay up any later my head can't handle it and would get a migrane the next day, having said that I also easily wake up at 5,6am. I know each day would be different, and I'd have a greater workload whilst at placement but is it do-able to do enough each day and sleep at 11 still?
    (Sorry if that sounds like a weird question, feel silly asking it but it's best to prepare myself)

(p.s I'm using google chrome which decides to take off the paragraphs for some reason)

9. portandlemon

portandlemon New commenter

1. Everyone is different but during my PGCE, I'd be lucky if I stayed awake beyond half 9!

2. With Google Chrome and some Mac OS, you have to put the paragraph HTML tags in yourself

10. i.e you managed to do everything that was needed and get to sleep at 9.30?

11. I'm on a mac, I have to insert the letters br inside the triangle bracket things ...

12. portandlemon

Yes - and be up at 5am to get in school for 7am.

And you will find that you can't do EVERYTHING that is needed all the time. It just isn't possible. One day you'll focus on planning, another on marking, another on your assignment. You just learn to prioritise. You HAVE to do that otherwise you will get burnout - as is very obvious on this Forum!

13. portandlemon

BR means a new line in HTML. You can also use the p in brackets meaning new paragraph. Very annoying isn't it!

14. I am SO reassured to hear this! I cannot function without 7/8 hours sleep per night (medical condition - not exaggerating!) so it is reassuring to hear that others have not sacrificed their health for the course which seems to be the general consensus on these forums!

15. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I've got Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and so I need good amounts of asleep or, like you, I can't function properly. There were times on my final placement where I'd be in school for 7.30, out at 6.30 and working until 10/11 at night but those days were few and far between, mostly in the last couple of weeks where there were lots of odd bits to do. Most of the time I was in bed by about 10 and if it happened to be after, it was by choice. I didn't work every evening, probably 3 or 4 and had weekends off. There is a lot of work but it's about being organised and staying on top of it all, do that and you'll be fine.

16. Hi
    Good luck with the course. If you want a few handy (and pocket sized) guides to teaching take a look at the 'Teacher's Pocketbooks' . the 'Differentiation' one by Peter Anstee is really good. Also 'How to be an Amazing Teacher' by Caroline Bently-Davies is great.
    Have a GOOD REST over the summer.

17. Thanks everyone for the replies, indeed it is reassuring to know it can be done and get decent amount of sleep. I think I'm fairly organised and know how to prioritise (prepared for GTP and PGCE applications same time as my exams and uni assignments and still mangaged to get a 1st) so hopefully would be OK.

Bluekettle: thanks for the book recommendations, I was also thinking of getting "getting the *** to behave" By Sue Cowley as many have recommended it, have you (or anyone else) read that book?

All the best to everyone who's starting their training, and well done to all those who have completed it.

18. Hi all!
    I am starting a Primary GTP in September and I just cannot wait!
    I am a bit of a control freak and like to be organised so have been trying to do a few bits in preparation for September. As I know which school I will be training in, I have been going in and have met the class I will be based in next year. I have also asked teachers for bits and bobs such as planning and school policies etc. I have also tried to get into the habit of keeping a diary of my time in school with reflections and thoughts in.
    Other than that, I have just done little things like bought folders ready for September and have purcahsed two books which my Uni has recommended. One is Successful Teaching Placement (Primary and Early Years) by Jane Medwell, and the other is Active Learning Through Formative Assessment by Shirley Clarke. I hope to have read both of these by September.
    One great piece of advise I have been given is to have a really good clear out at home and get some shelves sorted out which you can dedicate to all your teaching books/folders. I am planning on doing this myself as I think the organisation will be one less thing to stress about!
    My main worry is the skills tests we have to sit, especially now that they have made the changes regarding a limit on re-sits. I am very confident in English but my Maths is a little rusty...I am quite nervous and would hate to not be able to teach because of a simple Maths test. Does anyone have any advise about how best to prepare for the tests? I have been using websites such as BBC Bitesize to revise and this has been helpful. I have also used the practise skills tests.
    Sorry for rambling! Any advise would be much appreciated [​IMG]