1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sunderland school abuses its pupils on day 1

Discussion in 'Education news' started by FrankWolley, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

The same way that every other school policy fits in with safeguarding. School has a legal duty of care towards pupils but that doesn't mean they can't have school uniform rules.

2. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

I agree with applecrumblebumble's post 14.

I can never understand why a school will send pupils home for minor breaches of school uniform policy, but do next to nothing when a student tells teacher to f*** off. Just where are their priorities?

drek, palmtree100, Laphroig and 3 others like this.
  3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

But surely sending them home is an informal exclusion, isn't it?

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

[​IMG]

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

No. Sending home to change into correct uniform is an authorised absence. If they persist in refusing to wear correct school uniform you can (formally) exclude, but that isn't what happened here.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

7. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Lead commenter

I remember my first school and one assembly where the Head held forth in his holy sanctum of "The Hall" with his chosen pupils from his Christian Union all seated on the stage as he castigated staff and students about standard of school uniform etc etc Seated right next to him was quite a naughty 4th form boy (Year 10 for the millennials) who was resplendent in his trousers which had a distinct purple sheen to them - the uniform colour for the boys being grey! Did the HT say a single word to him? Nope !

drek and Mrsmumbles like this.
  8. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Most Geordie lasses I knew tended to not wear many clothes! It was a case of blue legs all round.

storifiedart likes this.
  9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I can't imagine any other country in the world making such a fuss about what children wear to school. Unless it affects their capacity to make the most of their learning opportunities, it doesn't matter.

So, high heels, & jewellery, for example, are no-nos, because they are health & safety issues. So are ties! Short skirts & low-necked tops make it difficult for girls to bend over, so shouldn't be worn. Jeans, trainers, T shirts, shorts - what's the problem? Comfortable, practical - means you can concentrate on your work.

Many pupils in Europe & the USA learn pretty well without the need for uniform. In the UK, uniforms for primary children have only become the norm in the last 25 years, and primary children were able to learn before they wore uniform.

Why do some schools make things so hard for themselves?

10. install

install Star commenter

Time to line up the Senior Managers in a similar fashion.

We have gone back to the Victorian style of punishment in some places...:oops:

11. tes_BW12345

tes_BW12345 New commenter

Have a rule, fine.
    Not much point having one if you allow 10% to break it.
    There's too much of letting a few people think they're special enough to be allowed to break rules, sneak in without paying, filch a few sweets from the shop...
    Even worse if you let them think they're clever if they can get away with it.

But Jeez, don't take it out on the kids??:oops:
    What next? Line the kids up with their trousers down for a jolly good spanking by some teacher who gets a thrill from it??

So send ALL parents a letter about the Rules, and what WILL happen if they're broken, reminding them there's a voucher scheme.
    If it's really a case of trousers or food, then get a scheme which pays for that case's trousers, don't let them wear a wrong grey flag of poverty.

We aren't single-sourced on Uniforms, but that's another story..