1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sunderland school abuses its pupils on day 1

Discussion in 'Education news' started by FrankWolley, Sep 6, 2017.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Sometimes I think schools, and their leaders, need to be punished severely. As in this case:

School lined children up in the rain to check for supermarket uniform

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/education/school-lined-children-rain-check-supermarket-uniform/

Pupils at a Sunderland school were forced to “line up in the rain” while teachers colour-matched their trousers to make sure they had been bought from the right shop. Children at Kepier School, in Houghton, who failed the match test were then placed into isolation or sent home. The “outrageous” moment was captured on camera as pupils had their clothes checked. Parents contacted i‘s sister paper, the Sunderland Echo, in fury after their children were punished for not wearing the exact grey trousers supplied by the school’s sanctioned uniform provider, or for wearing shoes which could not be polished. They argued that, although they understood why blazers and ties with the school logo on must be bought from the same supplier, they didn’t see why they were being forced to buy the plain trousers for £15.99 from Sunderland firm Total Sport. That is despite the same style of trousers being available for less than half the price in supermarkets.

I'd sack the HT and all the Governors immediately. This is child abuse.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I wonder what the link is between Total Sport and the school. Could the business owner be a Governor or trustee or does the school get a kickback from the store.

3. galerider123

galerider123 Occasional commenter

Many schools have a voucher system for lower income families. But, too often, like this school, they are very slow to promote it. Clearly this was not done when the information about the school uniform went out. How embarrassing that parents should have to go and ask a school which clearly does not really want to pay out the money that it in theory has set aside or this. In schools where most people can afford the uniform, it is even more embarrassing to ask.

4. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Will anything actually be DONE? Nope.

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

Quite a few rules being broken there.

Probably enough to trigger OfStEd. But will they rise to the occasion?

6. Lattelady

Lattelady New commenter

This totally goes against the Monopolies and Mergers Committee who have spoken out against this on a number of occasions, with the backing of the DfE.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  7. Schifoan

Schifoan New commenter

Nothing like a cartel, eh?

8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

As long as the children were wearing the correct uniform I did not mind where it came from. We had a range of suppliers who sold uniform at a range of prices.

The DfE has issued guidelines though they are non statutory.

Compassman likes this.
  9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

What rules have been broken? None that I can see so no reason why it would interest OFSTED in the slightest.

Single supplier isn't best practice but not prohibited.

Are you sure the MMC spoke out against it? MMC was abolished nearly 20 years ago but I'd be surprised if it spoke out about it. Not really in its remit, Do you have a link?

10. Lattelady

Lattelady New commenter

Rott Weiler likes this.
  11. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

The annual school uniform scandal...every September...as predictable as Christmas :rolleyes:.

12. harsh-but-fair

Should children be sent home for uniform 'offences'?

FrankWolley likes this.
  13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Or made to stand out in the rain?

14. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Established commenter

My experience of schools that have to do this - often newly converted academies, they have to look tough. They have to draw a line in the sand and pick on something that is easy to check and deal with. The kids then spend the whole year finding ways to step over the line. Uniform is not the issue, low level disruption is but they leave that to the teachers to deal with and blame them when it is not dealt with, even though the same names keep coming up from other teachers. These kind of schools never seem to get past drawing lines in the sand.

drek, sabrinakat, Laphroig and 2 others like this.
  15. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I am in favour of uniform but as usual some schools usually academies go too far and are over prescriptive.

It really is quite pathetic.

16. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

An excluded student I coached ended up with a caution because of dumbo uniform laws. Got sent home for The Wrong Trousers, missed his bus, got on one, no bus card, argued with mean - spirited bus driver...next thing you know a police car has driven by and the whole thing has escalated. OR: he could have just gone to the useless academy that day, been told off but still taught, and not had the most stressful day ever. He gave up on them after that, anger management got way out of control, then exclusion was the end result. So that went well. I just have no respect for academies. It's supposed to be about educating kids, not kitting out rows of identikit soldiers.

vvamadeva and corgie11 like this.
  17. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Whether they should or shouldn't it's not breaking any rules. Schools are allowed to send home pupils for not wearing correct school uniform. And often do.

Look at the picture again. It isn't raining.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I agree that checking ' the exact shade of grey' is OTT, if it actually happened, but...

Deb Pearson, whose daughter Nikki, 12, attends Kepier, said: “My daughter was turned away at the gates because she was wearing boots rather than shoes.

Quite right.

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Depends on the boots. Given the poor quality of the dolly shoes many girls wear boots would be preferable.

catmother likes this.
  20. harsh-but-fair

How does that fit in with safeguarding?